Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Recently bought this laptop, I like it, it works great.

I reformatted pretty much the day I got this laptop. However, I cannot get 2 USB ports on the left side of the laptop to work, I'm assuming these are the USB 3.0 ports. The two USB ports on the right side of the laptop work fine, I'm assuming they are the USB 2.0 ports. Presumably, this is from missing drivers.

I've tried downloading the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver from HP's support website. This does not work. After installing and running the USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility that it installs, a small dialog pops up that says "USB 3.0 Host Controller not found".

In Device Manager, I have two devices that have the yellow exclamation points. One is listed as SM Bus Controller, the other is listed as Unknown device. The hardware IDs for those are:

SM Bus Controller:

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&SUBSYS_358D103C&REV_13

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&SUBSYS_358D103C

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&CC_0C0500

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&CC_0C05

Unknown device:

USB\VID_138A&PID_0018&REV_0078

USB\VID_138A&PID_0018

Windows Update can't find anything for those two. I've also tried manually selecting the following drivers for the Unknown device and the device will not start still:

1. Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller

2. Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Hub

3. Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub

4. Renesas Electronics USB Hub

Although I'm not too worried about the SM Bus Controller, mainly because I have no idea what its purpose is, I'm assuming the USB 3.0 ports is the Unknown device because of the hardware IDs. Help please!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The problem is the HP doesn't have the drivers labeled properly. The USB 3.0 drivers they have under "Chipset" do NOT enable the ports in Windows 7 on the DV6-6135DX. I found this out the hard way as well as others.

I replaced the harddrive and decided to use a generic version of Windows 7 to avoid the HP bloatware. After installation, the USB3 port drivers weren't installed and installing the package from the chipset section did nothing. I then found a thread at Notebookreview.com where some one told me where the USB drivers were.

The drivers for the USB 3.0 ports/chipset are rolled into the VIDEO driver package. After I installed the video driver package, my USB 3.0 ports were working. I then installed a more up to date video driver from the AMD site and am good to go.

Nowhere on the HP driver page does it mention that the USB 3.0 drivers are actually part of the video drivers package. I had to find the info from a thread at Notebookreview.com. It should not be this way. HP should either break out the drivers into 2 packages and put them in the appropriate section or put some type of note in the chipset section about where the chipset drivers really are.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

The Unknown Device is your fingerprint reader. Install drivers from below link

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-95403-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

I'm not quite sure what SM Bus Controller is exactly related to but have you installed AMD  Graphics Driver on your Notebook?

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

kamat_hp,

Thanks, that got rid of the Unknown device, I guess it was the finger print reader.

I have installed the AMD Graphics Driver on my notebook.

Two more devices have shown up this morning on the Device Manager, both of them are listed as Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller... Perhaps these are the USB 3.0 devices. (doh!)

The hardware IDs for both are:

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7812&SUBSYS_358D103C&REV_03

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7812&SUBSYS_358D103C

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7812&CC_0C0330

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7812&CC_0C03

Once again I've tried manually selecting drivers and have pointed them in the directory of the Renasas Electronics folder where the folder Driver exists... Doesn't want to work.

HP Recommended

I'm really not sure on new unknown devices but it could be your card reader and you can Install drivers from here . I would say just Install HP Support Assistant from here which will automatically find necessary drivers for your Notebook. 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

kamat_hp,

I have installed the HP Support Assistant and it hasn't found the correct drivers. HP Support Assistant has gotten all the updates it can and Windows Update has gotten all the updates it can as well.

HP Recommended

Have you restarted the computer after installing updates via HP Support Assistant  as ideally some drivers require  a restart for it to work. 

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

Yes... I've done all that.

HP Recommended

Hi There,

I have absolutley same problem like reikani  on my HP Pavilion dv6-6102sa. Simply Windows doesn't want to install drivers for USB 3.0 properly, actually drivers are installed but pop-up messege is always same "USB 3.0 Host Controller not found"

HP Recommended

I'm having exactly those problems too on my dv7 6165us, why is that??????

HP Recommended

Same issue here not the card reader and not the USB driver from HP.... any ideas?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.