Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Tonight I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The process went smoothly.

However, I would like to do a clean install of windows 10. To do this, I have prepared a USB drive using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. Consulting my maintenance and service guide, I will need to change the boot order in the bios to be able to boot from this usb drive. 

Documentation states that I should access the Bios by pressing F10 when the "Press escape" message appears at the start of the boot cycle. However, I no longer see the "Press escape" message at boot. I see a blinking cursor for about 10 seconds, and then it goes right into windows. 

Pressing escape continuously did not work. 

Pressing F10 continuously didnot work. 

Pressing escape repeatedly did not work. 

Pressing F10 repeatedly did not work. 

If anyone has any suggestions for how I can gain access to the BIOS to update the boot order, I would be very grateful. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I had the same problem, have you tried to do a restart and not only a shut down?

HP Recommended

Yes, I've tried both. 

HP Recommended

If I do a restart, it works. Anyway, I thought about turn off the fast start, but then the shut down will work as the restart and in your case that wouldn't work.

I can't really help you to fix this problem. But I have 2 idea for a work around.

1. You can reinstall Windows 10 without a dvd (is integrated in Windows 10)

2. You can open your laptop and disconnect the harddrive (takes about 30s). Then you should have enogh time to enter BIOS

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I need to boot from the cd and I could not get to the boot menu. Please let me know if you have any idea?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

You can try to completely shutdown your win10 by pressing SHIFT when you shuting down your computer.

After that, you can access your bios by key like before (F10 or F9)

HP Recommended
  • Go to settings
  • Then Update & Security
  • Choose Recovery
  • Then Advanced Startup and Restart your computer

Or Try holding down the Shift key while restarting your PC

Hope this HELPS

HP Recommended

Good Link.  Suggested link recommends holding shift key down while restarting (selecting restart not shut-down) and then timely pressing ESC key in response to very brief message about start-up options.  I found the post-hot-key timer in a BIOS panel set to zero.  I changed that to 5 seconds.  Now I get the usual message for start-up options upon restart (not on power-up after shut-down).  System appears to be running normally after the change.  Normal start-up after restart  Apparently, the post-hot-key timer change does not persist to power-up sequence after shut-down.  Consequently, the start-up message does not appear during power-up after shut down.

HP Recommended

@DyBxBuK wrote:
  • Go to settings
  • Then Update & Security
  • Choose Recovery
  • Then Advanced Startup and Restart your computer

Or Try holding down the Shift key while restarting your PC

Hope this HELPS

What is the cause behind this? Could it get a fix after updating bios that was released for Win7 (2016 release)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.