Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is my first post so I apologize if it shows up in the wrong area. I'm having a problem with the fingerprint reader and HP simple pass identity protection software that came with my Dv6-3121nr. For some reason all of a sudden since this morning it won't work. There are no lights on the sensor and it does not respond to any swipe/movement. When I launch the Simple pass software and go to the fingerprints section, it says the finger print reader is not connected. Interestingly when I go to device manager I don't see any biometric devices listed under there. I read on another thread that some options from under biometic devices in device manager fixed the problem.

I've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling Simple pass from the recovery manager and have also uninstalled and updated the validity sensor but still no go.  Here are some other details:

Laptop model: Dv6-3121nr

Operating System: Windows 7 premium 64bit

Validiy Sensor DDK version: 4.1.139.0

I can't seem to find any other info on how to go about fixing this. Can anyone help?

Thanks a bunch!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello SM1251,

I looked at your notebook and there are no Windows 8 drivers for it.  Have you tried installing the Windows 7 driver in compatibility mode?

1. Visit HP Support and get the Windows 7 drivers for the hardware you'd like to try.
  2. Download the driver to your desktop.
  3. Allow the extraction to complete but close the installation process when it comes up.
  4. Navigate to the C:\swsetup\ folder.  You will see your driver listed here.  They usually have a name like "sp48918".  Navigate to this folder.
  5. Within your driver's folder you will see a "setup.exe" file.  Right click this file and select Properties.
  6. Navigate to the "Compatibility" tab.
  7. Click the box that says "Run this program in Compatibility mode for..." and also select Windows 7 from the drop down menu.
  8. Check the box which says "Run this program as administrator" at the bottom.
  9. Save these changes and double-click the "setup.exe" to begin the install.
  10. Once the install completes reboot your PC and verify the functionality of the piece of hardware.

Please let me know if this helps resolve your issue.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

133 REPLIES 133
HP Recommended

I am also facing the same problem with my newly purchased HP Laptop DM4 1150 during boot.

Due to some technical reason, my simple pass finger print reader is not working from last 4 days.

I contacted customer care even, but they needs me to restore my laptop !!! Thats funny....i got 1 yr service warrntty even though, i m boating on google for solution & posting on forum.....because even customer care people dont have the solution....thats funny.

I hope this may work !!!

1st effort: I installed Simple pass, then updated BIOS flash.

Not working,

2nd effort : I tried to restore from last update, that is failed even. And i am student i cant bear the loss of my time & data even. I believe HP ll have some technical staff to solve & respond this problem.

HP Recommended

Well.....I finally got the problem fixed. I still don't know what fixed it though. It might have been what I tried earlier or maybe the laptop just likes to act up sometimes. This morning when I turned the laptop on, I got a pop up that the validity sensor driver was successfully updated and after that viola....the sensor was working fine without a hitch as if nothing had ever happened.  

I still suspect that I havn't seen the last of it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

For now uninstalling SimplePass and updating the validity sensor driver seems to be the best solution. 

Cheers!

HP Recommended

I have a DV6T - 4000 Custom notebook with the Second Gen i7 processor.  After the notebook goes to sleep and is awakened the fingerprint scanner is no longer detected.  I have already reinstalled the validity sensor driver as well as deleted the fingerprint reader and reinstalled with no success.  If anyone has a solution, it would be appreciated

HP Recommended

I'm hoping you all have figured this out by now, but just in case here's the solution that I posted to another forum today:

Hi, I believe your problem to be the same as mine.  The HP default set up for the finger print scanner is set to disable when our computers goes to sleep.  Ever since I unchecked the box beside "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" n the below image, my scanner has worked flawlessly (FYI: I had been keeping my laptop plugged in, so it always had access to "power"):

GOOD LUCK! I hope it works for you too!!! =D

Device Manager-Biometric Devices.jpg

HP Recommended

I have a Pavillon DV6 notebook. The fingerprint was working perfectly till this afternoon, when the HP Support Assistant offered an automatic "important" update. So, I accepted it. After (automatic) downloading, installation and reboot, I got the unpleasant surprise that the fingerprint reader was not working any more. It was not recognized by the system. 

My notebook is still covered by warranty, so I contacted the HP Support. They replied immediately (less than 5 minutes and connected in chat with their technician). Upon his suggestion I tried the following:

1. Downloaded and installed the Validity Sensor Driver -> no results 

2. Restore the system prior to the latest update -> no results

Still the fingerprint is dead and the SimplePass software report an error message saying "Sensor not connected. Please connect sensor and try again". In Device Manager I have not any Biometric Device. As opposite, I have an USB device reported as "Unknown device" (that was not there before the system update).

Any idea how to solve the problem ?

Thanks

Luca

HP Recommended

Same here, DV6 updated through HP support assistant yesterday, no more simple pass function. Uninstalled and reinstalled the biometric driver, unchecked the power saver shut down box, no go. Am going to try sys restore now but doesn't look promising. What's the deal?

HP Recommended

Also when I open the simple pass software I see nothing in the left column under 'bring me to', the top-right help icon doesn't work, the help link below does open the useless contents window, otherwise there is absolutely nothing to explore there except a link to a demo  video.

HP Recommended

Reinstalled digital persona fingerprint reader from recovery, reinstalled HP simple pass from HP customer care site. Got the light to blink at startup but no function. Got the software to open and enroll two fingerprints but still no function.

Restored to the point created before updates, FIXED

Suspect updates available through windows update are as follows:

Windows IE 9 for Win7 x64

HP mobile data protection sensor

MS USB keyboard

MS USB mouse

Synaptics ps/2 pot touchpad

Update:

Installing HP mobile data protection sensor through HP Support Assistant breaks the fingerprint scanner and HP SimplePass software.

Restoring fixes it and installing HP mobile data protection sensor through Windows Update works.

There's your problem right there. PEACE, FREEKS

HP Recommended

I have an HP DV7t-2000 tried installing 6.x of this software, same issue.. i dont have that update from HP installed though.. should this work on a 2000 series?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.