Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-w010nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't use my Spectre X360 daily but I find it strange that every time I want to use it, the battery seems completely empty. If I power down the device and store it for 5-6 days the system won't even switch on as the battery is dead and power button no longer responds.

One time I left it untouched for almost 2 weeks and I could not even get it to charge using the usb-c charger supplied with it. I had to keep it connected to powersocket, wait 10 minutes and then boot and then let it drain below 10% before it would re-charge again when switched off. The powericon showed 15% battery status and connected to mains but kept displaying "....not charging"

Hybernation is switched off, the power button is acting as real power down and I have modified energysettings several times but nothing seems to solve my poor battery life. Is this normal behaviour ???

If so... the device is completely useless as it won't even last 1.5 hrs simple browsing behaviour and it goes dead when switched off. A mobile device that needs to be connected to main power all the time is not mobile but acts as desktop. If I would need a desktop I wouldn't have bought an expensive HP Spectre for sure....

How can this issue be fixed ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RHTK, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As the battery shipped with the PC is only a 3 cell battery, it does not have enough capability to hold the charge for a long time.

To extend battery life you can try calibrating the battery and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to calibrate the battery.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hey there! @RHTK, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand the battery drains when the laptop is completely turned off.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

The power capacity of notebook batteries decreases over time. The way a battery is used also affects battery capacity.
Battery cells suffer gradual, irreversible capacity loss with each discharge-charge cycle. Such aging occurs more rapidly as temperature and discharge loads increase.
The energy of a battery decreases even when the battery is left in an unpowered computer.
During prolonged storage or non-use, the battery charge can decrease below its recommended low-voltage level.
Leaving the battery depleted for an extended period can cause the battery to go into a low-voltage condition and become unusable. Leaving the battery at a high level of charge in a high-temperature environment for extended periods also accelerates the loss of capacity.
Using software for graphics processing or high-definition video accelerates the loss of capacity. For example, playing 3D games lowers full charge capacity faster than using word processing applications."

Try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers on your PC and check if it helps.

Please update BIOS on your PC using this link.

Also, update chipset drivers using this link.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot, thanks for replying .

I've left the PC as standard as it could be , only have Bitdefender TotalSecurity2017 installed and running for protection. Deleted the Spotify program which I had added but that doesn't make any difference. I have HP Support Assistant running in the background to get notified of BIOS/SW updates which I then apply. WIFI is the primary connection I use, 2 meters from WIFI AP at eyesight so that shouldn't be too bad either for the battery. All is kept at room temp (20 degrees C on average) so not too cold or too hot for me and the HW 😉

The problems have been there from the start : when I unboxed the device that was shipped by HP Store it was already below 15% but it did charge to full capacity.

The only thing that I notice when connected to the AC charger is a crunching/spiking noise that gets louder at certain stages as if it sparks inside. Last time I charged it would only go up to 65% and then stopped charging. Switching on again 2 days later it's down to 17% which is significantly higher battery discharge than on my other HP laptop (470 G1) over the same period of time.

When I'm back home I will check the links you've shared to see if those need (re-)applying, don't have the laptop at hand right now.  Will let you know... Regards, Ron

HP Recommended

@RHTK, It's been great to hear from you again. I was indeed waiting for your response.

Please update the drivers on your PC using the links from my previous thread and let me know the status.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. 

Please perform a system restore on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to perform a system restore on your PC.

I'll watch your reply!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot,

I've just run the drivers update but apparently it had already been installed. BIOS update however installed without warning that it had already been applied so that seemed later version than the one HP  support agent offered.

Will leave it for a day or so to see how fast it drains now (used to be counting down 15-20% every 24 hrs in power down state).

Bare with me, I'll give an update before weekend.

Thanks for the help so far 🙂

HP Recommended

As you mentioned when you tried to install the driver the driver was already installed on your PC.

Since you have update BIOS on your PC, please check for few day and get back to me with results.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot,

I've checked and compared to situation before the BIOS update : it doesn't make a noticeable difference.

The laptop battery lost approx 20-23% each day it was left untouched. This comes down to max 4-5 days use if you leave it switched off. When I compare this to my other HP laptop (Probook 470 G1) that holds 3-4 WEEKS on one battery powering a bigger screen and more powerfull HW servicing more demanding PC tasks , this is very disappointing for the Spectre x360.

Obviously you want to use the device more regularly but battery stamina would be even worse then.... not a device I can travel with and work remotely as I soon need to find a power outlet for the charger and carry all with me.

I have the screen brightness down to 40% or less which should give me a better stamina for the battery but not really.... I'm not sure what else I can do. How long is the battery expected to work when 100% charged in terms of screen time and switched off time until it gets to zero?

HP Recommended

Hi! @RHTK, Thanks for your response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the same.

Since you are comparing your product with a commercial product. The specs built on to your PC is not the same on the ProBook.

Probooks generally have a  high-end configuration with extended battery life.

However the battery on the X360 is a 3-cell, 57.8 Wh Li-ion battery.

So the stand by time of the battery is 5 hours.

Refer this document to know more information about Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology.

Hope this helps!

Have a great weekend ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I understand they are not fully comparable but I'm trying to find out what I should expect from the battery.

5 Hrs screentime is not great but for a super thin device I wouldn't expect more. My main concern however is how fast the battery drains when switched off, i.e. how long can I leave a fully charged one untouched before I need to charge again.

Is that merely 4 days or...?

thx

HP Recommended

As the battery shipped with the PC is only a 3 cell battery, it does not have enough capability to hold the charge for a long time.

To extend battery life you can try calibrating the battery and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to calibrate the battery.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.