Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 7 (456 Views)

HP Spectre x360 2016 Kaby Lake model recovery not working. Hard drive not found

Product Name: HP Spectre x360 - 13-w023dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I was noticing severe battery drain on my one month old spectre x360 i7 7500 ssd 512 GB variant. the laptop was taking more than 3 hours to charge and the charge was not holding for more than two and half hours for normal web browsing. It was also discharging at an unacceptable pace while completely turned off. I had updated my BIOS firmware to F.10 and also applied the Sphinx fix as described [url ="http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-drain-when-shut-down-HP...] in post 79 by Senchronize. However, the problem persisted. I decided to do a complete factory reset. Backed up my data and created a USB recovery using the HP support assistant software. However, while applying the factory reset, after the formatting of hard drive stage was completed the programmed returned an errors message "HP recovery manager failed error code=0xEFFFFF23". I tried doing it again and it would return the same error. I did a hardware diagnosis from BIOS and it does nothing. Tried loading a fresh Operating system through an OS bootable USB. The system prepares for install. But when it is ready it install, it fails to see any hard drive at all. I checked the HP support page for this machine to find if there is a SSD driver that I can load during the OS installation. However, I couldn't find the SSD drivers associated with this machine. I bought this machine in USA and currently in India. Will not be going back for few months. I wonder if the warranty will be available in India. Can someone help me get out of this mess? Can someone provide the SSD driver for our machine so that I can load them while installing the OS so that it recognizes the SSD. May be once I can get the machine to recognize the SSD the OS installation will go ahead and I can then download the necessary drivers and restore my machine. Thanks in advance. John.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 7 (404 Views)

Re: HP Spectre x360 2016 Kaby Lake model recovery not working. Hard drive not found

@RMJOHN

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. Smiley Happy I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 i7 laptop and initially the battery would drain out quickly. So, during troubleshooting, you performed a BIOS update and later tried to perform a system recovery. But now the recovery does not complete successfully. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

You can contact HP phone support in India. I have sent you a private message with the technical support phone no. Meanwhile, I'll provide you with the troubleshooting steps to make the recovery successful:

1) Turn on the laptop and repeatedly press the Esc key to enter the Startup Menu.

2) Now press the F11 key to access Recovery manager.

3) Click on Troubleshoot.

4) Go to Advanced Options

5) Click on Startup repair.

6) It will do the Startup repair and fix the problem.

One more thing is that you don't have to install the drivers for the SSD.Keep me posted for any further help. I'm always here to assist you. Cheers! Smiley Happy

MKazi
I am an HP Employee

If you find this post helpful then you can help others find the same solution by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 3 of 7 (388 Views)

Re: HP Spectre x360 2016 Kaby Lake model recovery not working. Hard drive not found

Thank you for your timely reply. The solution you provided however did not work. But, your directing me to HP India technical support team did help. I contacted them today and they said they would honor my warranty though it was purchased in USA. So, that's great Indeed. They have already arranged for a technician to visit me at my office ASAP. Once everything completes smoothly I will update this thread with the information. Thanks again for your support.
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 7 (369 Views)

@RMJOHN

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

both MKazi and the Riddle_Decipher will be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 5 of 7 (341 Views)

@MKazi  @Riddle_Decipher

As advised by MKazi I contacted the HP Tech support in India. The engineer I talked to diagnosed my machine and concluded that its SSD needs replacement. Promised me that they would be able to do it on site (at my work). I asked him specifically if the part is not available here (as this particular model is not released in India yet) would you still be able to do it? He promised that it will be done. They would be able to order the part from USA and replace it. Only thing, I may have to wait a week or two more for the parts to arrive. All sounded too good to be true and it indeed was. 

Later on the day, the manager of the previous support agent I talk to called me and started making a huge apology. She said, it can't be repaired here in India as the required part (SSD) is not available and they wouldnt be able to order it from outside and asked me to contact the US HP support only. She said, if I can convince the US support team to send the part to India the Indian support would replace it for me. She even provided me two email IDs where I can make this request. I asked her, if the machine has international warranty (as she confirmed) why cant the HP India team make this request themselves instead of engaging me in between? She had no good answers. With repeated apologies, she kept the phone. Within few minutes, to my utter surprise, I got an email saying my case status is closed. What a way to deal with the customers who purchase your most premium product!

I wrote a long email to both the emails IDs. Both emails bounced as those IDs did not exist. I contacted the US support again and they told me that they would take the machine, repair it and send it back all to a US address only. So, here I am... having to send the laptop to USA all the way from India. A "premium" device from HP. Less than 2 months of useage... both SSD and battery failed.... 

Because of the false claim made by the India HP team, I even lost an opportunity to send my laptop to USA with a friend who was scheduled to go the day I contacted India team.  In the past 15 years of using several laptops, this is arguably the most expensive machine I ever bought and the only one that gave me problems of this kind. I am still typing from my 4.5 year old Asus U36SD laptop which still runs like a champ. Never had a single issue that I can remember. 

By the time I send this machine to a friend in USA, get HP to pick it up, repair and send it back to my friend, and then get him send it back to India at least 2-3 months of my valuable warranty period with this machine would be passed. More importantly, the amount of inconvenience, financial loss, and opportunity to work on a new machine etc. I lose is invaluable. Who will compensate me for these... Never to HP again. 

What I am still trying to figure out is the role of guys like @MKazi  @Riddle_Decipher Can you tell me what exactly are you guys told to do here by your bosses?

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 7 (321 Views)

@RMJOHN

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

We have been asked to help you resolve your concerns and that's exactly what we intend to do,

As a result of your experience so far, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 7 of 7 (280 Views)

Dear @Riddle_Decipher As you said, I did get a personal message from one of the HP support agent from USA asking me to provide a set of details including case numbers. I provided all those. He forwarded those information to HP India service again. As usual I got a call again from HP India confirming once again that my problem cant be fixed here.. All this amounted to was wasting few more hours of my time and creating some unnecessary hope. I'm now looking into the ways I can send the laptop back to USA for the USA team to check and make the necessary repairs. Thanks, but no thanks, for your help. Other than causing some unnecessary delays and false hope the response from you or the other HP support agent in this thread has not been of any benefit to me. On the other hand your responses have only hurt my case even more as evident from my experience thus far.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation