Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (116 Views)

Hard Drive Short DST Check Fail?

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP 15 Notebook PC 15-f305dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Hi, I'm new to the forums so I hope this is the rightimage.jpeg place to post this 

But anyways, I basically dropped my HP 15 Notebook (15-f305dx) and now it won't boot. When I turn it on, it goes to the loading screen for a few seconds and then goes to a blank, black screen, and after a long while, a blue screen that has an 'Unmountable Boot Volume' error . Sometimes it starts and says 'Preparing Automatc Repair' but only for a few seconds again, then it goes back to the black screen and the same error. I saw some tutorials but it involved me getting a bootable CD or USB drive and I tried that and it still won't work. It just makes the loading screen stay on a little longer then goes back to the error. So I ran a System Quick Check and it failed the Hard Drive Short DST check. I don't know what any of this means. do I need a new laptop? 

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (112 Views)

Re: Hard Drive Short DST Check Fail?

[ Edited ]

It appears the impact of dropping your computer damaged the hard drive. The Hard Drive Short  DST Check Fail error is an indication that the hard drive has failed or is about to fail. You will need to replace the hard drive with a like unit and use your HP Recovery Media to return the computer to a factory like state. If you didn't create your HP Recovery Media when you first setup your computer, you will have to purchase this media from HP. Please see USB - Windows 10 64b Recovery Kit to order the media or contact HP Customer Support to purchase the medai,

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (109 Views)

So the hard drive might just have to be replaced then? 

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (101 Views)

Yes, most likely the hard drive was damaged and needs to be replaced. The original drive is a 500GB 2.5" x 7mm SATAIII 5400rpm drive. Please the HP 15 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide for hard drive replacement instructions. You could also install a 750GB or 1TB drive, or a 500GB/512GB SSD(solid state drive) instead.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation