Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (212 Views)

Hard Drive failure (Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed)

Product Name: Pavillion dv4-2165dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Had this laptop for about 6 years, had a few issues in the past, but nothing major like this. After, I ran a system dianostic, the result shown that the Hard drive short DST failed. Not totally sure how to do a recovery, I do have the Recovery Discs, so I searched up how to run the discs; turned on the system- press f11-  window loading files- window starting- then it just stuck on a window blue screen with nothing but the cursor. Can I even use the Recovery Discs? 

I want to replace the old HDD with a new SSD, but I'm not sure if I have to install a new OS or can I recover the old hard drive OS and transfer to the SSD?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (202 Views)

Re: Hard Drive failure (Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed)

DST:Fail means  the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
Teacher
Message 3 of 6 (177 Views)

Hi there viksirivong Smiley Happy 

You should be OK using a SSD as your new drive and, as CherylG pointed out, you should get one with at least the capacity of the failed drive or larger in order to successfully use the recovery disks. If the laptop is under warranty I would first contact the manufacturer in order not to risk voiding the warranty when removing the failed HDD. 

In order to better understand what has happened to the failed HDD I would connect it to another working system either internally or externally (SATA to USB cable, dock station or an external enclosure) and check the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive. If you are not sure how to read them feel free to post them here and we can give you some info on it. 

Captain_WD. 

Top Student
Message 4 of 6 (161 Views)

Unfortunately, my warranty had ended. I'm currently trying to recover the data from the hard drive. I plugged it into a USB to SATA bridge and connect it into my desktop, but I can't find the main C: drive. I believe my desktop automatically changed the drive letter to F: drive since my desktop main drive is C:. When I try to access the F: drive, an error pops up. I went on to the disk management, and the F: drive "file system" is RAW which is different from the other drives, NTFS. So I'm not if the data on the hard drive is accessible, is there another way to recover the data.

Provost
Message 5 of 6 (155 Views)

I have heard good things about EaseUS:

http://www.easeus.com/tutorial/drw-free-user-guide.html

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
Teacher
Message 6 of 6 (139 Views)

This could either mean that the data on that partition was corrupted or it could mean that the drive itself has failed. 

If you want to get your data back do not format the drive.

Your best bet would be a data recovery company but mind that their services can be quite costly. 

Third party data recovery tools can also work and Cheryl gave you a good example so I'd try that but have in mind that any unsuccessful attempt may further damage the drive. 

Could you post a screenshot of your Disk Management with the drive attached?

Another thing you could try is boot from a Linux distro and see if it recognizes the drive. 

Captain_WD. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation