Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 11 (355 Views)

Hard drive failing on HP 15-r063tu Notebook

Product Name: HP 15-r063tu Notebook
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have been using my HP 15-r063tu Notebook for about 16 months. Recently, it has started behaving erratically, and on diagnosis I found that the hard drive is failing (Short DST Fails, and dozens of Disk Errors - Event ID 7, in Event Viewer). Hence, as advised by some, incl on this forum, I will get the HDD replaced very soon.

I use the laptop only for office work, like working on MS-Word/Excel/Ppt files, and surf internet using IE, FF, and Chrome with multiple tabs. I have noticed that when I have all browsers open with many tabs, and a few Word/Excel files as well, the Task Manager shows memory usage over 90%.

So, I seek advise on two counts -

1. Should i upgrade the RAM from 4Gb with another 4Gb to improve performance ?

2. The current HDD is an HGST one (500Gb SATA-III 6Gb/s 5400rpm with 8Mb cache). Will replacing it with a 500Gb SATA-III 6Gb/s 7200rpm with 32Mb cache HDD vastly improve performance or should I settle for a regular SATA-III 5400rpm one ? The cost is almost 50% more for a 7200rpm+32Mb cache one, hence the query.

Thanks.

Ramesh

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 11 (341 Views)

Re: Hard drive failing on HP 15-r063tu Notebook

Upgrading the RAM to 8GB on a notebook only used for productivity software doesn't really add enough value. 4GB is enough.

Once you have replaced the hard disk ,then will be the time to see if having multiple apps open and browser with many tabs makes a difference in performance. Your notebook has an Intel i3 processor so it is not a performance notebook.

Upgrading to a 500Gb SATA-III 6Gb/s 7200rpm with 32Mb cache HDD will give you some performance increase, but nowhere near what you will get with an SSD. I would just replace it with a SATA600 notebook drive with the same specs as the original unit.

If you find that my posts help you, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple Thumbs up + box next to the Reply button .

If your problem is solved or your question answered by a particular post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

I am not an HP Employee, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time
Tutor
Message 3 of 11 (333 Views)

Well, Erico, the reason I asked about RAM upgrade was because even earlier, when my HDD was fine, memory usage would show 90% or more with just IE, FF, and Chrome open with about 4-5 tabs each. I don't play games on the laptop, nor do I do heavy multimedia stuff, which are normally resource-hungry. So, am surprised that for my specs, the system has not quite been as fast as my earlier laptop, which was an Acer Aspire 5742G, with 1st Gen Intel i5 CPU, 4Gb DDR3 RAM 1333Mhz, and 500Gb SATA-II HDD of 5400rpm & 8Mb cache. As this HP one is only 16 months old, thought it would be much faster than my earlier laptop.

Also, some have mentioned in the forum, that a RAM upgrade would significantly improve performance in my case (perhaps as it already shows 90%+ usage constantly. Like you, some have suggested replacing the HDD with an SSD, but am on a tight budget (considering that I want to upgrade RAM costing approx $25, and new HDD costing $55). An SSD of 250Gb costs about $80 here. I can get a 500Gb SATA 3.0 6Gb/s 7200rpm 32Mb cache laptop HDD for about $75.

So, I guess I have only two options -

1. Buy a new 7200rpm HDD with 32Mb cache (supposed to be much faster than 5400rpm with 8Mb cache). No RAM upg

2. Buy a regular HDD as current one - 5400rpm with 8Mb cache, but also upgrade RAM with another 4Gb module

Replacing HDD is a priority, while upgrading RAM is not. My dilemma is whether replacing HDD with a faster one will suffice for performance boost, or will I still have to upgrade RAM (in which case, I may as well buy a regular 5400rpm HDD).

Provost
Message 4 of 11 (321 Views)

Your Acer, with its Intel i5 CPU was higher spec than your current notebook with its Intel Core i3 CPU.  It had more grunt than your current notebook does. If you had purchased an HP 15"notebook with an Intel Core i5 CPU you would have been more pleased with its performance.

The problem with using a notebook HDD with 7200 rpm is that it will draw more current than the original HDD did. That will have an effect on the service life of the systemboard of your notebook.  An SSD draws far less current than an electro mechanical HDD does. 

Option #2 that you have described would give your more band for your money.

Don't forget when you upgrade the memory to replace both modules with a pair of guaranteed compatible memory modules.

Adding a module that is not identical in all respects  to the original one, will introduce a risk that only one module will be seen and used by the operating system.  Do a bit of reading on the web and you will see that is a something that common happens.

If you find that my posts help you, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple Thumbs up + box next to the Reply button .

If your problem is solved or your question answered by a particular post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Tutor
Message 5 of 11 (310 Views)

Thanks Erico. I am confused about your point about my Acer laptop being faster / better performer than my current one. I assumed that an Intel i3 4th Gen would perform better than an Intel i5 1st-2nd Gen. I didn't buy a laptop with Intel i5 4th Gen as it was way too expensive compared to my current one. Anyway, shall keep your point in mind for future purchase.

Agree with you on the higher power consumed by a 7200rpm HDD, than my current one - a 5400rpm one. Of course, everyone gives great reviews for SSDs, but they remain too expensive. A 250Gb Samsung 750 EVO SSD costs twice as much as a regular 500Gb 5400rpm HDD. Hence, I might consider getting a regular 500Gb HDD but also upgrade RAM with another 4Gb module. But here it's tricky. You seem to suggest that if i upgrade my RAM, then it should be the same make and specs for BOTH modules. But, I have read in several other forums that only the specs of the RAM need to match, irrespective of the brand / make. For instance, my laptop currently has Samsung 4Gb DDR3L 1600Mhz RAM (M471B5173DB0) and say I opt for a Corsair 4Gb DDR3L 1600Mhz RAM (CMSO4GX3M1A1600C11), I suppose both should work fine together. In my Acer laptop too, I have used the default 2Gb Samsung RAM with a Transcend 4Gb RAM of same specs, and it worked just fine for about 3 years that I used the laptop.

Provost
Message 6 of 11 (306 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ramesh-Iyer wrote:

You seem to suggest that if i upgrade my RAM, then it should be the same make and specs for BOTH modules. But, I have read in several other forums that only the specs of the RAM need to match, irrespective of the brand / make. For instance, my laptop currently has Samsung 4Gb DDR3L 1600Mhz RAM (M471B5173DB0) and say I opt for a Corsair 4Gb DDR3L 1600Mhz RAM (CMSO4GX3M1A1600C11), I suppose both should work fine together. In my Acer laptop too, I have used the default 2Gb Samsung RAM with a Transcend 4Gb RAM of same specs, and it worked just fine for about 3 years that I used the laptop.

Upgrading memory by installing an additional, but different brand, different chips and possibly different form factor memory module does add the risk of either a non boot scenario or having only one module being recognized as being installed  by the operating system or BIOS.

If you perform a search on memory upgrades in the forum you wil find that many people who upgrade come here and ask why they are having those two problems.

I am not suggesting it happens, I am assuring you that failed memory upgrades do happen.

My own preference is having seamless upgrades that work right the first time they are installed, without financial risk or wasting of my valuable time and added frustration. That is why I always upgrade with matched pairs of guaranteed compatible memory modules from a wel known manufacturer who give lifetime warrantees on their memory modules.

I am not suggesting it happens, I am assuring you that failed memory upgrades do happen.

Tutor
Message 7 of 11 (299 Views)

Ok. I understand that you are forewarning me about buying the RAM module of same make and specs as the one I have installed now. Will check with the vendor before buying, as Samsung RAM of same specs costs about 40% more than that from, say Transcend or Corsair. Am not sure if BIOS recognizes RAM modules of different makes, even if the specs match.

Provost
Message 8 of 11 (296 Views)

There is nothing wrong with using Corsair, Crucial or Transcend memory.

They are well known memory makers and guarantee compatibility and provide warrantees for their memory products with specific notebooks and desktop motherboards.

"Am not sure if BIOS recognizes RAM modules of different makes, even if the specs match."  That is why it is smarter to let the memory manufacturer, whose reputation is on the line do the lab work and guarantee compatibility.  They have deeper pockets than you do and dedicated employees in their quality control laboratories who do the work.

Tutor
Message 9 of 11 (293 Views)

Sure, I know that all major memory module makers do test their products thoroughtly, but none of them really list models of laptops these can be used with. In fact, the dealer I inquired with about the Corsair RAM in my case, said all that matters is the tech specs of the RAM. But, the reason I posted the query on this forum was to reconfirm the same, as most people on this forum are HP Experts / veterans, and would know far better than I do, to confirm or junk any vendor's claims. After all, vendors have a vested interest in saying what they do. I assume people who respond on this forum are experienced IT experts (with HP products in particular) and would give sound unbiased advise.

Moreover, I seek advise from IT experts on this forum because neither Transcend nor Corsair has a customer care in my region. but their products are good and cheaper than OEMs or others like Samsung or HP itself. E.g. on enquiring with HP, I found that the RAM of same make as my current one would cost me THREE times that of the Corsair or Transcend ones. I don't exactly have loads of money to throw around and pick a part / accessory from HP, if I can get a compatible one for much less. That's the basic purpose.

Provost
Message 10 of 11 (292 Views)

And why exactly are you going roud and round on this? 

The reason I did not sugest purchasing the memory from HP, is that I am aware that their memory modules for your notebook are overpriced. That is because of where they come from in the supply chain.

I have already tried to explain the why in a couple of different ways to you. I understand that English may not be your first language and that is the reason I have done that.  The advice that we give is indeed impartial and our own experienced opinions. We have nothing to gain as we are not HP employees and also not employed by any of the vendors of PC components.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation