Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
ThePadster Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hard drive short DST check failure... again.

HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
An issue I had resolved a few months ago has begun occuring again, wherein the laptop has difficulty loading things when started up and soon after crashes and has to be restarted. I assume this means the hard drive has failed again and so I have no doubts about how to resolve this, but I am posting this query to ask: Why? Why has a laptop I have had for not even a year at this point already had the same problem occur twice, even with replacing the part that broke the first time? I'm willing to assume it's something to do with excessive use as I will admit it is switched for a good part of most days, often for several hours as I play games on Steam on it. I do not currently plan to have the hard drive replaced again as this is clearly an issue that is going to keep occuring the way things are and so I may as well get a PC that won't break every time a gust of wind hits it. Any information on why this is occuring and how it could potentially be prevented in the future is appreciated , particularly if it provides a solution that doesn't involve paying an extortionate amount of money.
2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
37041 5588 9631
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The worst enemy of hard drives is heat. If you game a lot on a computer that is being pushed to the limits to run the game, it can wear out a hard drive over a couple months. Do you get a lot of fan activity during gaming? A cooling pad might be an option, or a grandpa box computer instead of a laptop for games. 

0 Kudos
ThePadster Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Well, I hadn't really noticed it getting very hot but that certainly could be something to do with it, especially considering it isn't great for running games in the first place. Alright, thanks for the advice!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation