Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 8 (404 Views)

Hard drive short dst check failed

Product Name: G6 2266es i5-321
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hola,

El portatil no arranca. He hecho un system extensive test y falla hard drive short dst. Por lo que he visto en lis foros es posible que el disco duro este roto. He hecho chkdsk c: \r y no se soluciona. Pueden decirme algun disco duro para comprar y como arreglarlo yo mismo.

Gracias 

David

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (403 Views)

Re: Hard drive short dst check failed

@Kokirulo

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Forum. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To ensure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Forum.

German: HP Kundenforum
Spanish: Foro de usuarios de HP
French: Forum des utilisateurs
Portuguese: Fórum dos usuários HP
Chinese: 惠普个人客户支持论坛
Korean: HP 지식커뮤니티

Thank you for your understanding.

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Message 3 of 8 (351 Views)

Hi, Sorry, I made the message with phone and I thought I was in the spanish forum. I translate my original post: " Hello, My laptop doesn't start. I made a system extensive test and fails in step hard drive short dst test. I tried chkdsk c: /r but not solves the problem... I think hard drive is broken. Can you tell me if there is another way to try to fix or what I have to buy and how to replace it? Many thanks, David. "
Retired
Message 4 of 8 (290 Views)

Hi @Kokirulo,

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips. For you to have a rewarding experience, I would like to include the following link for your perusal and reference. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your laptop would not start, so you ran the hardware tests and the hard drive failed the short DST test. This is an indication that the hard drive is failing and will need to be replaced. As  running the "chkdsk c: /r" did not help, it will require replacement. Here is a link to the HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide, where you can obtain the recommended replacement part numbers for your notebook. Please see chapter 3,page 24, item 18. Please also see chapter 4, page 45 for the removal procedure.  Here is a link to the HP Parts Store. If you are unable to purchase the part from HP, you could try a web search with the part number to locate one. 

Please let me know the outcome.

Thanks for participating in the HP Forums where we want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as "Accept as Solution" to help other community members! To show appreciation for my efforts kindly click the "Thumbs Up" below. 

Sparkles1

Honor Student
Message 5 of 8 (207 Views)

Hello, Thanks for the quick response. I think I will do, seems to be easy. Once I have the new hard drive on the laptop where I can find windows 10? Can you provide me a link? and if exists a procedure for installing it? My best regards!
Retired
Message 6 of 8 (187 Views)

Hi @Kokirulo,

Thank you for your reply.

If you look over chapter 4, page 45 of the maintenance and service guide, it reviews the removal procedures. There are numerous YouTube video on replacing the hard drive in a Pavilion G6 notebook that you may also considering viewing. Please let me know how it goes. 

Sparkles1

Honor Student
Message 7 of 8 (167 Views)

Hello!! Yes, I checked, it seems to be easy to replace hard drive, my concerns are about installing windows 10... there is any link to download it? and to install it? My best regards!!
Retired
Message 8 of 8 (161 Views)

Hi @Kokirulo,,

Thank you for your reply.  You can download Windows 10 from Microsoft.com. Upgrade to Windows 10. You can download Windows 10 to a USB drive and boot to it to do a clean install of Windows 10. How to Clean Install Windows 10 (from tenforums.com). There is a link to assist you with creating a bootable USB drive (in the  clean install document), should you need it.

Please let me know the outcome,  Good Luck!

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation