Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

A friend of mine has a HP Pavilion g6 notbook PC which is hopelessly stuck in a loop of "Press the ESC key for startup menu".  None of the suggested fixes have worked and I cannot access the operating system. I want to reload Windows 7 Home Premium and should be able to do it with the information on the sticker at the back of the unit. I have the product ID and the serial number. What do I do next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can download the ISO on another machine & burn it to a DVD. I simply meant the version you download to install must be the same one you have a license to activate. For instance your license key is for Windows 7 Home Premium so you couldn't install & activate Windows 7 Professional with the key.

Btw- it sounds ominously like the hard drive is bad. If the Windows dvd fails to find a hard drive or installation fails with error you will likely need to replace it.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Tapping the F11 key at the Startup Menu doesn't work? It should boot into Recovery Manager to reinstall Windows 7.

This error condition often indicates hard drive failure. Have you been able to enter BIOS & use Diagnostics to test the hdd & memory? If you can't even enter BIOS- try removing the hdd to see if you can then enter BIOS. Not really much else you can do without the hdd-but at least that will give you an indication of whether a bad hdd is causing the loop.

You have two options for reinstalling Windows 7 -on the original hdd if it is good, or on a new one if needed. You can order Recovery Media from HP by calling HP Support. 

If you live in the US, contact HP info Here.

If you live in another part of the world, start here>>Contact HP
------------------------------------------------------

2nd option_If you can read the 25 character Microsoft Windows 7 license key, you can download a Windows 7 ISO file to burn to a DVD or USB flash drive. The version  must match version that came installed on your PC as  listed on the Microsoft COA sticker attached to bottom of laptop. Such as Windows Home Premium.

Link to the Windows 7 ISO file downloads:

You can use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to convert the ISO file you download. Link and instructions below. You need a  DVD+R or DVD -R . Or a 4 GB flash drive to use the USB method.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbP​age.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool#installation

Use the 25 character key on the COA to activate the installation. 

Next go to your support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

HP Recommended

Tapping the F11 key only displays "F11....System Recovery".

From there it loops into "Press the ESC key for startup menu". 

The sticker at the back of the laptop does have the 25-char product key so I should be ablel to download the Windows 7 ISO file. However I would have to download it from a functional PC. Will that conflict with what you mention, namely "The version  must match version that came installed on your PC as  listed on the Microsoft COA sticker attached to bottom of laptop" ?

HP Recommended

You can download the ISO on another machine & burn it to a DVD. I simply meant the version you download to install must be the same one you have a license to activate. For instance your license key is for Windows 7 Home Premium so you couldn't install & activate Windows 7 Professional with the key.

Btw- it sounds ominously like the hard drive is bad. If the Windows dvd fails to find a hard drive or installation fails with error you will likely need to replace it.

HP Recommended

Will do. Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Update: The Microsoft no longer allows to download the operating system if one enters a product key of the preinstalled operating system. Rather, one will be instructed to get a recovery cd from the manufacturer. The Microsoft OS downloading link seems working only for the market Winows 7.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.