Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15q-by004au
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Laptop : HP a6 9220. Its 2-3 years old laptop. I bought it 2nd hand in January 2022. This laptop comes with a Windows 10 Home version which gets digitally activated after connecting to the internet for the first time. But its last owner changed its OS from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, But did not activate it. Now My Question is :

1. Can I change it back to Windows 10 Home and get it Activated (Through the digital key provided by HP in its BIOS as they say i.e. without having to buy a activation key.)

2. If yes, then how?

3. If no, then what are other possible options that I have?

Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Ayush_Chauhan05 

Please edit your previous post and delete the screenshot, your personal windows serial number (s/n) is shown, it's not allowed in public.

@Ayush_Chauhan05 wrote:

I also tried using a thrid party software on microsoft store it also shows no OEM key.

I think powershell and this software both are not showing key because its windows 10 pro in the laptop right now and the activation key is of 10 home?

- The powershell command is not showing the key, because there is NO KEY stored in your BIOS

- Ask the previous owner for the windows home key

Please report your results

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Do this on the post I wrote that helped solve it.

Thank you very much

⌨️

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Ayush_Chauhan05 

Your Windows 10 Home product key is stored in your bios, so it will only be actived automatically on Windows 10 Home installation.

Recommendation and solution:

You will have to go back to Windows 10 Home

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

Can you kindly help me with the procedure of going back to home version from this pro version?

HP Recommended

Hello @Ayush_Chauhan05 

(1) To read the windows home key from BIOS, you have to do the following.

Please open powershell console

( please select/copy and paste (right click) the command into the powershell console )

(Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey

Censored example:

ub6424_0-1656673113647.png

(2) Please write the Windows Home key well readable on a sheet of paper !

(3) Only when you have this information (windows home key), we can continue.

best regards

---

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

I tried the command but it does not show anything.

I also tried a CMD command similar to it. It also did not work.

HP Recommended

I also tried using a thrid party software on microsoft store it also shows no OEM key.

I think powershell and this software both are not showing key because its windows 10 pro in the laptop right now and the activation key is of 10 home?

HP Recommended

Hello @Ayush_Chauhan05 

Please edit your previous post and delete the screenshot, your personal windows serial number (s/n) is shown, it's not allowed in public.

@Ayush_Chauhan05 wrote:

- The powershell command is not showing the key, because there is NO KEY stored in your BIOS

- Ask the previous owner for the windows home key

best regards

---

Thank you very much

⌨️

HP Recommended

Hello @Ayush_Chauhan05 

It was a great pleasure to help you 

best regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.