Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
17m-ce0013dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently I applied the BIOS upgrade recommended by HP Support Assistant F.05 Rev A.  After this BIOS update when the screen timeout is reached it goes into an endless device disconnect/reconnect loop and it beeps disconnect and then reconnect ~30 times per minute.  It does this until Windows goes goofy.

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x4
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9DBC&SUBSYS_85E5103C&REV_F0
Secondary Device Name:

I've tried to revert the BIOS (to F.04) using the exe downloaded from HP for this machine.  It won't apply the BIOS.  Trying the USB stick method I cannot figure out how to flash the BIOS.  I tried it from the firmware update and it says it is missing a signature file or similar.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@59ctd

Let's try a BIOS Recovery and check if that helps

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833.

Let me know if that works

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

No luck so far.  I have tried every way possible to revert to F.04.  Ctrl-v, ctrl-b, flash from maintenance, nothing works.  I have downloaded the F.04 BIOS update file and it contains the .bin and .s12 file but apparently the bios installer wants a .sig signature file as well.

HP Recommended

@59ctd,

I recommend you run the power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Here is how it is done.

Press ‘Win + I’ shortcut keys to open Windows Settings app.

Click on ‘Update & Security’, then go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ section from the left-side menu.

Scroll downwards a bit and click on the ‘Power’ option.

Click on ‘Run the Troubleshooter’. It will start detecting the problems and if it founds, go ahead fixing it.

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the below steps.

On your keyboard, press ‘Windows key + R’ and type ‘Powercfg.cpl’ in it.

Hit the ‘Enter’ key to open power options in the control panel.

From the left-hand side, click on ‘Choose what the power buttons do’.

Then, click on the link ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’.

From the bottom given power button options, uncheck the ‘Turn on fast startup’ option.

Click on ‘Save changes’ button.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried both steps with checking in between.  The device disconnect/reconnect issue remains right when the screen is turned off after 10 minutes.  The issue started *exactly* after I applied the F.05 BIOS.  I'd really like to just revert back to the F.04 image.  I have the BIOS .bin and .s12 files but when trying to apply the BIOS is says it also needs a signature file and prevents from proceeding to flash F.04.  I am trying to flash F.04 from the diagnostics BIOS maintenance which can be entered right when the system is powered on.

HP Recommended

@59ctd

I suggest you follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833 to Recovery the BIOS using a USB drive

If the issue persists please contact HP Support for further assistance

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad.  I tried that with a USB stick with F.04 on it by the BIOS utility and then tried the Win-B and Win-V keys on startup.  I get an error screen something to the effect "The BIOS files cannot be found or are corrupted" and the system reboots.  I've read elsewhere that it seems that there is no way no how to downgrade the BIOS to an older rev.  I guess I have given up and will live with a partly broken laptop.  Maybe if/when there is an F.06 BIOS the issue will be fixed.  Thanks for your responses to my question.

HP Recommended

@59ctd
Thank you for posting back. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.