Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen laptop 2019 15-dc1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a product key and installe dit but it seems the problem is that the win 10 home is tied to the motherboard and cannot be upgraded.

Also i changed the original ssd of 500gb for 1tb sabrent nvme ssd. Everything else is original

I tried a lot of tricks even from cmd but nothing worked.

In the store it appears install not buy the windows 10 pro so i don't know what i should do

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @ebenhu 

Thank you for posting and keeping me updated - this is appreciated.

Try opening Windows Explorer/This PC and go to:

• C:\Windows\temp   << Make sure you select all files inside this temp folder and delete them <<
  • C:\Users\~username~\Appdata\Local\temp   << << Make sure you select all files inside this temp filder and delete them <<

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter again. TRY one last time.

If the above does not help, 

• My only idea other idea left is to consider performing clean vanilla Windows 10 re-installation and then trying to upgrade with the generic key or your key.
  • If you need assistance on how to perform the clean installation, please check the attached PDF file - below

I understand that you mentioned earlier that reinstalling is not preferred option because it may take a while to restore data and applications. But there seems to be no other chance (or one I can think of).

Since this is purely Windows issue, you might also want to contact Microsoft support department(s) and check if they have any other idea >> here is how >>  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@ebenhu wrote:

I bought a product key and installe dit but it seems the problem is that the win 10 home is tied to the motherboard and cannot be upgraded.

Also i changed the original ssd of 500gb for 1tb sabrent nvme ssd. Everything else is original

I tried a lot of tricks even from cmd but nothing worked.

In the store it appears install not buy the windows 10 pro so i don't know what i should do

Hi,

• Where did you buy your Pro key from ?
  • Can you provide details what fails and what does not happen ? You may take pictures with a camera/smartphone OR screenshot and post them back here.

I recommend you upgrade with a generic key and then troubleshoot the activation

• VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
  • 2B87N-8KFHP-DKV6R-Y2C8J-PKCKT

Windows 10 Home is not tied to the motherboard. The key/license is stored in the BIOS/part of the motherboard since Windows 8 first appeared >> http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-8-moves-to-bios-based-product-keys/

I haven't heard of official "ban" that does not allow OEM Windows 10 Home to be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

You may read these articles:

>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro

>> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/13986-upgrade-windows-10-home-windows-10-pro.html

Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-24 at 15.50.42.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-03-24 at 15.50.34.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-03-24 at 15.50.28.jpegHi, thanks for the quick answer, 

I join some pics from the process

But it isn't working with the generic key

I really don't know what is the problem.

i installed win 10 pro in several pc's and never had any trouble

i even installed it in an old laptop from back 2008 and a bit slow but working, 

just this new laptop which doesn't like it apparently!!!

I am in Ecuador at the moment but the laptop was bought in USA last year in autumn.

Maybe the language is an issue, i had no problem with desktop pc bought last year so it is confusing me!!!

I tried in admin mode or with my account and same problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your update @ebenhu 

This error that you face now is either caused by some incompatible software (probably a security one) or by Windows Update issues.

Here are your next steps:

Let me know how it goes... Keep me posted

HP Recommended

Hi, i tried with deactivating my antivirus but i didn't try to uninstall it.

And it worked for win updates, it is installing updates that wasn't showing up before.

I let you know if after that i am able to upgrade to win 10 pro!! 

HP Recommended

Hi, not working either, i tried from admin account, from my account with admin rights

I uninstalled all antivirus and still not working

i really don't want to install a new one as i have a lot of softwares and i can't spend all week installing again everything

is the new nvme drive a problem? maybe i need the original nvme drive to be able to install win 10 pro. i really don't know how to do!!

HP Recommended

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18363.752

Error: 50

Setting an edition is not supported with online images.

i get this when trying to install again.

I installed without trouble in another laptop with Win 10 home OEM and now it has win enterprise with a generic key!!!

I really don't know what is happening with my laptop!!

I even tried with different date and time but same problem!!!

HP Recommended

I suggest you:

1. try to do repair in-place upgrade of your existing Windows 10 Home
  2. and eventually try to perform an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Here is how to do it:

111setup.png

• Make sure you select the Upgrade/Install option
  • Do not download and get updates during or before the installation
  • You may be asked what to keep

222keep.png

• Continue with the installation

333install.png

Eventually, after successful in-place upgrade of Home edition, try to upgrade to Pro again

Let me know how it goes

Source of pictures and some of the steps  :  www.tenforums.com

HP Recommended

Hi, i installed/repair win 10 home as you told me

But no way to install win 10 pro

Still blocked with error as shown in the previous photo

HP Recommended

Hello @ebenhu 

Thank you for posting and keeping me updated - this is appreciated.

Try opening Windows Explorer/This PC and go to:

• C:\Windows\temp   << Make sure you select all files inside this temp folder and delete them <<
  • C:\Users\~username~\Appdata\Local\temp   << << Make sure you select all files inside this temp filder and delete them <<

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter again. TRY one last time.

If the above does not help, 

• My only idea other idea left is to consider performing clean vanilla Windows 10 re-installation and then trying to upgrade with the generic key or your key.
  • If you need assistance on how to perform the clean installation, please check the attached PDF file - below

I understand that you mentioned earlier that reinstalling is not preferred option because it may take a while to restore data and applications. But there seems to be no other chance (or one I can think of).

Since this is purely Windows issue, you might also want to contact Microsoft support department(s) and check if they have any other idea >> here is how >>  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.