cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CGrange
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Hp Pavillion Dv6 turns on but Immediately black screen when starting up SHORT DST FAILED; HARD DISK

HP Recommended
LW261UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hello, I am totally stuck. 

anyone know how to fix this problem; HP Pavilion Dv6-6110us Product LW261UA#ABA, about a year ago this was given to me by my brother to help him fix it. The notebook originally came with windows 7 premium home OA but I guess was upgraded to windows 10 a while back via their website. He did something wrong and was stuck in a boot mode or wasn’t loading start up at all and blank from turn on. So I took it and preformed all diagnostic testing through recovery, boot menu and bios as well. The bios update that I was trying to preform was unknowingly interrupted somehow and I wasn’t sure what to do but restart it, but once I did that, it would turn on when pressing power each time and the backlit LED light was visible but there was nothing just a black blank screen from start up and on. So I restarted and preformed another test.

Testing Drive: 1

SMART CHECK : PASSED

SHORT DST : FAILED

FAILURE ID : RLHG2F-5MNAJ0-MFH15G-6OVFO3

HARD DISK 1

After testing was  completed there was no troubleshooting option or some kind of redirection to a possible fix so I am hoping someone on here knows what to do and can help. 
Thanks so much!

1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,682 30,589 2,791 6,743
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@CGrange 

That error code means your disk drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately, neither HP nor the third-party suppliers stock Win7 anymore, so there is no way to get recovery media to install Win7 on the new drive.  Also, HP does not support your model drive with their Cloud Recovery tool.

So, the only option to get it working again would be to create Win10 install media from Microsoft and use that.

1) Use this link to download and create Win10 install media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2) Insert that into your PC, boot from it, and run through the installation. When you get the window asking for a product key, look down near the bottom of the window for the link you can click to skip that step.

3) When done (the PC may restart several times) and you boot into Windows and you get back online, it will contact the MS activation servers and automatically reactivate Win10.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation