Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

After I hit F8 I selected "safe Mode" but it move to Blace screen. How can I get rid off Black screen - safe mode??

HP Recommended

Hi H2727. Here is the start up troubleshooting document for the 15-e005sv. Go through the steps and let me know how it goes.

Computer Does not Start (Windows 8):
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03515402

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

To resolve this issue, you will need to boot into Safe Mode, and update the video card driver. Please follow below steps,

1. Boot the PC while holding the Shift key
2. Once the Recovery screen is displayed, click or tap on the See advanced repair options button.
3. Next, click or tap on the Troubleshoot button.
4. In the troubleshoot menu, click or tap on Advanced options,
5. Then select Windows Startup Settings.
6. You will need be prompt to restart the PC.  You will see a boot option screen where you can select Safe Mode with Networking.
7. While in Safe Mode with Networking, you need to download and install the latest video card drivers. You can go to HP website and search for latest video drivers for your unit by entering the product number.

Regards,

PD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star on the left to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your issue makes it easier for other people to find solutions
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello did you manage to sort out your blank screeen problem?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I figured it out.  Thanks a lot. Sorry for the lateness of my reply.

HP Recommended

For my HP Envy dv7 it was the Intel HD 4000 driver it updated during install.  You have to go into safe mode and disable the intel hd video adapter and update once back into windows

Problem driver version for me was 3379.  Installed 3345 and works fine in 8.1 

Note. I also have switchable graphics - 650m which i also updated 

Additional note to get to safe mode on hp laptop (which worked for me) :

1)  Shift + F8 until boot screen appeared

2) F11 recovery

3) ESC to windows recovery

* If you do not get to advanced options after this, i had to restart and while windows loaded, powered off so when i went through process again it tried automatic repair which then seemed to go to step 4

4) Advanced Options -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> Startup Settings -> restart

5) after restart and you get boot menu, just press enter to continue which will load safe mode

HP Recommended

I upgraded to 8.1 about 2 months ago. The upgrade took almost 22 hours which was frustrating as I thought my HP envy laptop had crashed. Once it rebooted it seemed to work ok with the exception of the wifi which kept going out all the time. Today 1/21/2014 after I logged on it went the the black screen. Scary.... I used the ctrl alt del funtion to get into Task manager. At that point the fingerprint lauch site activated and I was able to get onto the internet through one of my e-mail addresses. I read all these postings and got to my c drive and from there got to the device manager. All I did was update my device drivers, went out to do an errand and when I returned the laptop was restored. I hope this posting is helpful to anyone out there who may be experiencing this issue. Thanks so much for the help on this forum.

HP Recommended

:robotsurprised:  I don't understand what the problem is when there's a ?  or  ! on top of my hp support icon...  Then I don't know what I'm supposed to do...  Do I have a problem of not.... I would appreciated if you can give me clearer instuction.  i.e. like the problem, no a list of things that could have a problem. 

Sincerely,    Susan Swindle

HP Recommended

plz i have same problem

HP Recommended

I have a DV7-7133nr to which I have modified to SSDs, 16 Gig of Ram and Windows 8.1. I too had the black screen of death for a long time and have read many forums, and nothing worked until my last attempt. I am an Intel Channel Member and Partner and a Microsoft Partner, and this has fixed the problem, but it only applies to boards running the Intel Graphics 4000 video.

1. Go to Hp's website and make sure you have the latest bios update. I did, so at boot up, I held the f10 and reset the bios to default settings, hit f10 and saved.

2. When booted into windows, I went to the Intel website, support, drivers, and searched for the Graphics 4000 driver. Their driver was later than Hp's so I downloaded it to my desktop. I then uninstalled the hp driver through the Device Manager and removed everything, and rebooted the computer. That gave me back the Microsoft basic video driver. I then installed the Intel driver I downloaded, and not only did it removethe Microsoft basic Driver, but it installed correctly and gave me a control panel for the driver.

3. Since then, about 2 weeks ago, I have not had a black screen since.  The HP Driver is out of date for Windows 8.1.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.