Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TS 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)
I have dropped my laptop from off the couch on to the floor when I turn on my computer is says "Boot device not found please install an operating system on your hard disk"
Hard Disk (3F0)
Followed by a clicking sound which sounds like it is coming from the hard drive.
Any solutions ?

Thank you Shay
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

1Tb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 69 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive - A full guide on this can be found on the following link.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643

The video below should help.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

From your description, I'd say you'll probably need to replace the HDD.

See if you can run a test on it as follows.

Shutdown the notebook. 

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Diagnostic Menu option ( f2 ) and see if you can run the tests on the Hard Drive.

Post back with the results, including any error codes that may be generated.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thank you for your quick response,
I have done as you asked however it says
SMART Check : NOT AVAILABLE
Short DST: NOT AVAILABLE

Thank you
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

The uefi diagnostics do rely on being able to access a small partition on the drive, so it's not entirely surprising you're getting this error if the drive is damaged.

Personally, given the nature of the accident, my first suggestion would be to replace the drive and reload the operating system from your recovery media.

If you would like a guide on doing this yourself, please let me know - include the full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thank you again,
Can you suggest as to where I can purchase a drive and an estimate of the cost ? As well would this affect my memory at all as I had many videos and pictures that I do not want to lose.
A video would be great
HP Pavilion TS 15 Notebook PC
F5W47UA#ABL

Shay
HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

1Tb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 69 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive - A full guide on this can be found on the following link.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643

The video below should help.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.