Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Important disk partitions on HP 15-ay013np

HP 15-ay013np
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there!

I have a 2016 HP 15-ay013np notebook which stopped booting. After trying everything available, I backed up my files and performed a clean install of Windows. At the beginning of the installation process, it showed me a list of the volumes available on my hard drive. Something along the lines of

1. Unit 0 Partition 1, 16Mb, MSR (Reserved)

2. Unallocated space in Unit 0, 260Mb, -

3. Unit 0 Partition 2: Windows, 90Gb, Primary

4. Unit 0 Partition 3, 560Mb, Primary

5. Unit 0 Partition 4: Recovery, 499Mb, Recovery

6. Unit 0 Partition 5, 100Mb, System

7. Unallocated space in Unit 0, 357Gb, -

8. Unit 0 Partition 6: Recovery, 16Gb, OEM (Reserved)

I selected Item 3, the Windows installer went smoothly, and after a few minutes I had my computer booting again. However, the Explorer listed 3 volumes

C: (90Gb, with Windows inside)

D : (499Mb, with some files related with the boot manager and the EFI)

E: (16Gb, one file inside)

I went to try to expand my C: drive using the 357Gb of unallocated disk space, but turns out that volumes 4, 5 and 6 in between these two sectors prevent me to do so. Therefore I went back to the Windows installer, intending to format the entire disk, and perform a completely clean install. However, when I tried to delete the first Volume, the Windows installer issued me a warning that that Volume could contain important manufacturer files.

Could you please tell me which, if any, of those Volumes I should not delete, and which ones are safe to delete?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
8903 8840 1710 3204
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

You can delete all the partitions and install on unallocated space. You do not need the recovery partitions as there are many other recovery options in Windows 10 (such as clean install).

So, yes, delete all the partitions and it will be like a new drive.

Hope it helps,

David

0 Kudos
genio559 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you for the quick reply, David.

So, there is no risk of loosing some vital HP software which could be hidden inside any of those partitions, or the license key for Windows 10 itself, right?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
8903 8840 1710 3204
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You will lose the recovery partition, but it is not really necessary as there are different recovery options in Windows 10 and there is even HP cloud recovery if necessary.

The product key is in firmware and will not be deleted.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation