Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A friends Pavilion recently crashed. I was able to backup her data, but now the drive is unreadable. I've purshased a new WD Blue HD and built a Win10 install disc from the MS site. I've also built a Win10 USB installer. No matter what I try I cannot get Windows to load. Under either the disc or USB drive I'm met with 'press any key to begin installation'. The CD brings up a HP logo for about 2mins, starts to spin, then the machine power cycles. Using the USB drive I'm met with a Win10 logo, shortly after I see spinning, but again the machine power cycles. BIOS is showing the new drive is there and it passes the diag test. Why won't either piece of media kick off the Windows install? Clearly I'm misssing something here..... I've installed Windows on 100's of HP's and Samsungs, but never seen an issue like this. Is this a HP specific issue and without buying their thumbdrive is there a way around it? I've done a lot of googling, but am not finding anything that gets me past a power cycle. ANY assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer, if you have not done so already, would be to go into the BIOS, enable Legacy Mode, and disable Secure Boot.

See this link for the settings to change.

https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03736054/

Then boot from the Internal or Legacy DVD drive or Legacy USB diskette on key/USB flash drive.

HP Recommended

Yes... I've tried this multiple times. Done BIOS resets, attempted a BIOS update, but that menu won't come up correctly either. Is there anyway to run full diagnostics on this laptop to find out if something else is causing the problem? Memory test is fine, the new hard drive reports as fine. But still, any attempt to install Win10 from disk or USB loops back to "Boot device not found" Speaking with an HP tech, they want me to buy a $40 recovery thumbdrive. The fact that an IT professional can't rebuild this machine from scratch seems ridiculous. Even if I were to spend the $40, what's to say THAT is going to work? Is this HP's way of creating microtransactions or am I completely missing something?

HP Recommended

If you can't install W10 using the Microsoft Media creation tool, then paying HP $40 for a recovery drive would be a complete and utter waste of money.

The only way to run a full diagostics on the PC would be to use the HP 4 in 1 key, and if you can't boot from anything, I doubt that would work either.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.