Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Intel ich9 family usb drivers keep trying to install but fail. Any suggestions?  Using Windows 7 on Pavilion dv4 and I've checked the Microsoft Updates to ensure all my updates are current.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi, Trish:

See if re-installing the chipset driver for the ICH9 controllers will fix the problem.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20019&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%...=

Paul

HP Recommended

I downloaded the chipset, but still have the problem.  Thank you for any further advice.

HP Recommended

I was able to fix the problem by doing a system restore from about 2 weeks ago and then just adding the required updates.  I'm staying away from the optional ones at the moment.

HP Recommended

Hi, Trish:

I'm glad to read you got it sorted out.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario CQ71-401SA notebook, and I have the same problem as Trish.

On start up I get a popup bubble telling me that new driver software is being installed, followed by another one - Device driver software was not successfully installed:

1.png

but when I go to Control Panel, Device Manager, USB Controllers, I see that they are installed:

USB Contriollers.png

I can't be sure when the problem started, I think around 20 May so 10 days ago, I have restored the PC to its earliest restore point 13 May 2011, but the problem persists.

I went to the Intel site yesterday and downloaded the drivers - installing them wasn't very clear; and I can't be sure that I did it correctly, so I searched in HP.com and found the drivers there, and again downloaded and installed them, but the problem still continued.

I can see in Device Manager that there is an option to Uninstall; is it easy and safe for a layman to do this? My thought was to uninstall then go HP.com and download and install the drivers again.

Is this worth a try?

My USB devices all seem to work by the way.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

HP Recommended

Anyone?

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem on my G60-630US notebook.  All USB ports seem to work fine, but every time I boot, I get all these errors that "Device driver software was not successfully installed".  It makes reboot take a long time, but it seems to work fine after reboot.  It happens every time I power up.  All drivers are Intal ICH9 Family USB Host Controller drivers as mentioned above.  I've tried reinstalling drivers.  Any ideas?

HP Recommended

I resolved this by uninstalling the drivers.  Go into Control Panel > Device Manager.  Under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", double click on the failing components.  Go to the "Driver" tab and click "Uninstall".  Do this for each of the failing drivers.  When you reboot, Windows 7 will automatically reinstall the drivers (this will take a while).  This eliminated the problem!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.