Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilian G4-2320dx Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My hard drive died 2 years ago.  I had another laptop to get me by.   I got a new hard drive the same size, and want to install a new copy of Windows 8.1  There is no serial sticker on the bottom of the laptop - just a Windows 8 sticker.  Is the serial embedded on the motherboard?  Will I have problems with the installation without the number?  I believe the laptop came with Windows 8 and I let it update to 8.1 during the 5 years it was working.  My older backup laptop with Windows 7... died.  Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...It will install Net Framework 3.5 (which may include whatever the tool needs to work).

It runs on my W10 PC.

Go to the windows control panel>programs>turn windows programs on or off.

A window will open and a list will populate.

Check the Net Framwork 3.5, and the installation should begin.

After Net Framework installs you should be able to run the Microsoft utility.

If that doesn't work use the free Rufus utility.

https://rufus.ie/

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@gwoiler 

It's not a serial number; instead, it's a product key -- and that is embedded into the firmware of the motherboard.

However, to use that key, the version of the OS that you are installing must be HP OEM.  If you use a Retail version, that will not use the product key and will require you to purchase a Retail key to use it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have been all over this HP site.  I do not see a way to get an HP OEM installable operating system.  Is there a way to buy it?

HP Recommended

Hi, @gwoiler 

Here is a free way to reinstall W8.1 by using the W8 product key in your notebook's BIOS.

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC, if yours is not working...You want W8.1 64 bit.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, use this generic key.

This is the generic key for W8.1 'Standard.'

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

If you had to enter the generic key, manually change the generic product key to the W8 key in your PC's BIOS in the PC settings menu.

After you get W8.1 installed, and you had to manually enter the W8.1 generic product key, you will need to run the free utility I zipped up and attached below, that will show you show the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

I have also zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so it is bootable.

Then you can install the available drivers and software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-g4-Notebook-PC-series/5330575/model/536...

HP no longer sells recovery media for your notebook's model series, so if you would rather purchase a W8 recovery kit, the only place that I know of where you will be able to get one is from this vendor...

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-24264-windows-8-64-bit-recovery-kit-716050-001-for-hp-pavilion-not...

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for all this.  I will attempt to do it as you have shown.

Thank you again!

Glenn

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Glenn.

I have given this solution to reinstall W8.1 to dozens of forum members, so I know that it works just fine.

HP Recommended

I have down loaded the ISO file.  I have a blank USB.  I went to run the Windows 7 file you gave me and it wants Net Framework 2.0  - I am currently on a Windows 10 laptop.  Maybe a different installer would work?

I followed these directions (from a docs.microsoft site) to format and copy the ISO to the USB:

To create a bootable USB flash drive

1. Insert a USB flash drive into a running computer.

2. Open a Command Prompt window as an administrator.

3. Type diskpart.

4. In the new command line window that opens, to determine the USB flash drive number or drive letter, at the command prompt, type list disk, and then click ENTER. The list disk command displays all the disks on the computer. Note the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive.

5. At the command prompt, type select disk <X>, where X is the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive, and then click ENTER.

6. Type clean, and the click ENTER. This command deletes all data from the USB flash drive.

7. To create a new primary partition on the USB flash drive, type create partition primary, and then click ENTER.

8. To select the partition that you just created, type select partition 1, and then click ENTER.

9. To format the partition, type format fs=ntfs quick, and then click ENTER.

Important

If your server platform supports Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI), you should format the USB flash drive as FAT32 rather than as NTFS. To format the partition as FAT32, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER.

10. Type active, and then click ENTER.

11. Type exit, and then click ENTER.

12. When you finish preparing your custom image, save it to the root of the USB flash drive.

I did all this, and when booting the laptop, it does not see a bootable drive.  I change the boot to Legacy and it will give me the option to pick the USB drive when powering on, but it acts as if the USB is not bootable.  I also looked at the USB from within WIndows Disk Management, and it says the USB is Healthy (Active, Primary Partition) - but it does not say Healthy (boot) like it does for the C drive.

HP Recommended

I tried to download the <media creation tool> but that page within microsoft's site did not work.  Not sure what else to do.  Unfortunately, this laptop I am on now has no DVD drive.

HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...It will install Net Framework 3.5 (which may include whatever the tool needs to work).

It runs on my W10 PC.

Go to the windows control panel>programs>turn windows programs on or off.

A window will open and a list will populate.

Check the Net Framwork 3.5, and the installation should begin.

After Net Framework installs you should be able to run the Microsoft utility.

If that doesn't work use the free Rufus utility.

https://rufus.ie/

HP Recommended

I used WINUSB to load the ISO file and it boots now.  I am not sure why microsoft says to simply copy the ISO to the drive when it is not simply done like that.  Had I a smidgen more experience, I would have none that.  lol...  Thanks for your help.  The replacement drive will be here tomorrow.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.