Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13" Convertible ae0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to update Win 10 to Ver 1903, but the Windows Update in Update & Security in the settings is not doing it. An attempt was made end of August, but it flopped. Since then I have tried again and again, by checking if there were any updates to download and install.

I should be up-to-date with all the drivers and hardware and BIOS etc. as I regularly check on the HP Assistant site.

Is there any way I can find out whether there is a driver or some hardware which is blocking the update?

Thanks for any help

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SwissMountain 

Using an in-place Feature Upgrade is the least reliable and most error-prone way to to those Upgrades -- but when they fail, and they often do, they will generate some code you can then Google to get more details.  Without writing down and checking the code, there is no way to determine why the Upgrade failed.

A better approach is to use this link to download and create Win10 install media, insert that into your PC (do NOT boot from it), open the folder for the media, select setup,exe, right-click it and select Run as Administrator: Windows 10 download

That will do an Upgrade -- but it will take a while, possibly a couple of hours.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice, I have read many pages on the subject, and will try most of the solutions when I have a few days free time...but hat I really want to know is whether HP can do a scan of my laptop and tell me whether all the devices, drivers etc. are compatible/up to date with an upgrade from 1803 to 1903.

I have read that such incompatibility can block a smooth upgrade, or block it completely.

So far I have been unable to get a clear answer to this question.

HP Recommended

@SwissMountain 

The answer to the HP scan is no --HP is not able to do that, nor are we.

Here is as link to the PCs HP has tested with Win10 -- if yours is not in this list, then it might not work well under Win10:  HP Products Tested with Windows 10 | HP® Customer Support

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.