4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is this test failure hard to solve or not

Pavilion Notebook 17-ab008no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I recently tried to reset windows 10 to factory settings because various programs did not want to work anymore. More specifically, Word gave me an error message saying that there was not enough memory, etc. etc.

However, during the reset process I got an error message saying that it failed. The only button avaible was "cancel" which I clicked. It all has ended with a black screen. It doesn´t matter how many times I reboot, the screen go black. I do not even make it to the login screen.

The HP PC diagnostics works though, by pressing F2 on start. I have ran an extensive test and everything passes but the systems check [E] which apparently is connected to the memory module.

I get the following failure ID: PUV8GK-8AV91V-MFPX6K-407203

My question to the experts is simple: Is this a serious problem which is complicated (and thus expensive) to address?

In the end, I want to know if I should buy a new computer straight away. The repair shops here in Sweden have notoriously bad reputation and I might actually save time and money by buying a new one straight away. My HP guarantee (1 year) expired in december.

Best regards

4 REPLIES 4
jorkki
Level 7
687 680 30 104
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can check these cryptic error codes here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

In your case it would say that for some reason or another the computer can't read vital configuration information from one of your memory devices. This could potentially cause some of the erratic behaviour you had noticed as some of this information is vital to adjust the access rates to the memory etc.

If you want to dig a little deeper in what is stored and how the process works, you can read more about it on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_presence_detect#Reading_and_writing_SPD_information

If you get your Windows up and running again, you can use e.g. the Passmark RAMMon utility to show in plain text the information it can get from your memory devices:

https://www.passmark.com/products/rammon.htm

Did you add any memory to your PC or is it the way you bought it?

If you have additional memory, it would make sense to try and remove it and test again. If the error remains, replace the original memory with the added memory and test again.

Would be a terrible waste to dump a computer that is just over year old. Remember that in EU we are well protected. In addition to the manufacturer's warranty you have the legal guarantee which I believe is minimum 3 years in Sweden. So in your case it is the seller's responsibility to have the computer fixed at no cost to you, not even the transport costs.

Should it be the memory you have added, it would be the memory vendor's responsibility to get a new component to you. Many of the memory components come with a long/lifetime warranty anyway.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
0 Kudos
Scnadiviathan
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply!

I am not an advanced user and by that I mean that I have not had any memory has been added.

I shall see whether I can muster my mental forces in order to try to have this fixed by referring the the consumer protection laws and legal guarantees.

It is indeed a shame to throw away a computer this young (and expensive).

0 Kudos
jorkki
Level 7
687 680 30 104
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't think you have too much difficulties even if you purchased the computer online from a different EU country.

These days there is a working process for Net purchases called Online Dispute Resolution. Usually it is enough if you even have to mention it. The process is very simple too as you only have to deal with your local consumer center and they deal with their colleagues abroad. Should be even simpler if you bought the computer from Sweden.

http://www.konsumenteuropa.se/

I have had to test the process once with a purchase I made from Germany to another EU country. (I'm not Swedish)

I was amazed how efficiently the process worked. Initially the seller used all kinds of excuses but after they got contacted by their local consumer protection agency they contacted me to basically not to ask if they need to jump, but how high:smileyvery-happy:

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
0 Kudos
jorkki
Level 7
687 680 30 104
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It would still be interesting to see the RAMmon results for the memories. More often than not the issues are mechanical, i.e. the modules are not properly seated or there is some dirt in the connector or a bad solder joint etc.

Should you decide not to excercise your customer rights and not let the seller take care of the issue, I would proceed as follows: (opening up the computer usually breaks some seal, so your negotiation position immediately worsens as it comes to the warranty/guarantee)

Would be a good idea to first identify which of the modules is giving trouble and then clean the RAM module connector edges with a swap dipped in  isopropanol and then swap their places to see if the error moves to the other slot. If it does you have a faulty memory module, if it vanishes, you had a poor connection and if it stays at the original slot, there may be dirt or other problem with the motherboard connector or maybe a bad solder joint somewhere.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation