Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My 4540s recently has problems with battery charging. When I plug in, on the taskbar it says : "Plugged in, charging", however it is not charging. It is not going above 0%. I followed the steps that are here like uninstalling "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" and then removing battery, holding power button for a minute and then putting back battery and turning notebook on. But it was useless. My laptop still not charging. Please help me with this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Farahim wrote:

The result is the same even when the laptop is turned off: It's not charging. It's always 0% and the light does not change its color to green (which indicates that its charged).

That is incorrect.

Off, as in no color, indicates fully charged.

See the image I provided to you in my previous post.

If you purchased the battery from a vendor who provides a guarantee, it should be still in warranty since it has been less than a year. Contact them for a replacement.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Does the battery charge when the power adapter is plugged into household current with the notebook turned off?

How long have you been using the battery?

Most people get about two to three years of service life from a battery.

The warranty on the battery is only one year. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

When the laptop is turned off and the adapter is plugged in then the light indicating charging is on. This is my second battery and I'm using it since last october.

HP Recommended

@Farahim wrote:

When the laptop is turned off and the adapter is plugged in then the light indicating charging is on. This is my second battery and I'm using it since last october.

Then it charges via the hardware electronics, but not when logged into the operating system.

Does it charge fully with the notebook turned off?

Does the color of the charge light change? See the following image for more information.

HP Recommended

The result is the same even when the laptop is turned off: It's not charging. It's always 0% and the light does not change its color to green (which indicates that its charged).

HP Recommended

@Farahim wrote:

That is incorrect.

Off, as in no color, indicates fully charged.

See the image I provided to you in my previous post.

If you purchased the battery from a vendor who provides a guarantee, it should be still in warranty since it has been less than a year. Contact them for a replacement.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.