Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq nw8240
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.1029

Intel Pentium M Processor 2.13GHz

2.0Gb RAM

I've been getting Win10 Update failures for over a year (all other updates install fine) so decided to do a manual update using the Microsoft "Create Windows 10 installation media" tool. All seems to go fine until the very end during the re-boots stage where it comes up with the following error code "0xC1900101 - 0x20017" and reverts the laptop back to the way it was before attempting the update install. Reading Microsoft support forum indicates this is due to a driver causing an illegal operation. The suggested mitigation is to open Setuperr.log and Setupact.log files found in the %windir%\Panther folder and find out which driver is causing the problem.

Unfortunately those log files are not at all easy to decipher and there is no easy way to interpret the mass of information so I decided to check all the drivers installed on the laptop using Device Manager myself. I manually checked and updated every single driver entry and all drivers except one are up to date. The single driver which is unknown is for the LPC Controller and an update search doesn't find a driver for it.  The details are ACPI\IFX0101\4&3471DDDF&0 so I'm hoping someone can point me to it. This might not ultimately solve the Windows Update issue but at least I'll know it's not this particular driver and I can go further.

Thanks for your patience.

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, George:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try the Vista driver for the TPM device since there aren't any other newer standalone drivers.

I explored the driver file and I don't like all the additional stuff in there such as files for ProtectTools which isn't supported in W10.

So what I did was to zip up and attach below, just the required driver files necessary to install the device. 

Manually install the driver as follows...

Download and unzip the attached file to its folder.

Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager and click on the  ACPI\IFX0101 device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the unzipped driver folder.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and hopefully, the driver will install.

Then restart the PC.

Here is a partial copy and paste of the driver setup information file which shows driver support for that hardware ID...

[Company.NT.5.1]
%DEVICEDESCRIPTIONXP% = DriverInstallXP,ACPI\IFX0101,ACPI\IFX0102,*IFX0101,*IFX0102,IFX0000

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi, George:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try the Vista driver for the TPM device since there aren't any other newer standalone drivers.

I explored the driver file and I don't like all the additional stuff in there such as files for ProtectTools which isn't supported in W10.

So what I did was to zip up and attach below, just the required driver files necessary to install the device. 

Manually install the driver as follows...

Download and unzip the attached file to its folder.

Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager and click on the  ACPI\IFX0101 device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the unzipped driver folder.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and hopefully, the driver will install.

Then restart the PC.

Here is a partial copy and paste of the driver setup information file which shows driver support for that hardware ID...

[Company.NT.5.1]
%DEVICEDESCRIPTIONXP% = DriverInstallXP,ACPI\IFX0101,ACPI\IFX0102,*IFX0101,*IFX0102,IFX0000

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for coming to my rescue again. The driver zip file downloaded fine and seemed to already be unzipped. I followed your instructions and the driver installed on the nw8240 which is currently rebooting. Device Manager no longer showed Unknown device prior to reboot so looks very hopeful. I'll try the Win10 manual install again when fully rebooted and will let you know the outcome. Please keep fingers crossed for me in the meantime.

Have a great evening.

George

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, George.

You have a great evening too!

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

When I woke up this morning and looked at the outcome of the manual Win10 Update process it unfortunately showed the same error code as previously and had returned the system back to previous state 😞

That LPC Controller driver was clearly not the driver causing the issue but I am now at a loss of determining which driver it is. As the original request for a driver has been resolved I'm not even sure if I should be continuing this thread with you or if I should open a new one so your guidance would be greatly appreciated. I've got the setuperr and setupact log files from the %windir%\Panther folders so can send those on if required (if I can figure out how to attach files to these posts).

Cheers.

George

HP Recommended

Hi, George:

I suggest you start a new post.

I have a HP nc6400 notebook which as the same Mobile Intel 945 chipset as your notebook.

It worked fine up to v1803 and when I went to update it to v1809, at the first reboot, I got a black screen and it would not proceed.

So, I had to keep it at v1803.

How would you feel about clean installing W10?

If that is something you would like to experiment with, here is the link to the W10 Pro, v1803 32 bit ISO file.

The link will be good for 24 hours.

https://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win10_1803_English_x32.iso?t=ee78fcae-edec-4df5-b09b-263a...

Use the tool that I zipped up and attached below to transfer the file to a DVD or USB flash drive, so that it is bootable.

I was never able to get my nc6400 to boot from a USB flash drive.  The PC sees it, it lights up, but then hangs.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the steer about starting a new post, will do that shortly. Thanks also for the link to v1803 iso file which I've downloaded successfully as well as the Download Tool Installer. Initially I'd like to get to the bottom of what is causing the problem with the updates on my nw8240 (if only for my own learning) but I suspect I'm quickly heading towards a clean install of Win10.

I've never knowingly installed from an iso file before so am quite excited whilst also worried about giving it a try. One early question springs to mind though, can I make the bootable DVD on a different pc using your tool, or does it have to be made on the nw8240?

Have a great evening.

George

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, George.

You can use any Windows PC with W7 or newer on it to create the bootable installation media.

One way to go back to your current situation if the clean install goes terribly wrong, would be to install the free Macrium Reflect disk imaging software, have it create a system image on a portable hard drive.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

The utility will also have you make bootable rescue media that you boot from to access the system image stored on your portable hard drive.

Then a couple of mouse clicks later, you are restoring the image you created.

When you clean install W10 if you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

I clean installed W10 on my nc6400 after the upgrade because I bought a 120 GB SSD for it.

I had no problems at all, but I installed an older version of W10 because I had gotten the SSD a few years ago.

I can give you older ISO files if you want, but I wanted to give you v1803 because that is the latest one that I knew that would work on the Mobile Intel 945 chipset.

Let's face it...you and I are probably a couple in a handful of folks that are running W10 on such ancient platforms, so I don't think we are going to find a lot of resources or outside help to figure out the issues we are having.

I have the HP 6910p (the next model after the nc6400), mobile Intel 965 chipset, and it runs W10 v1909 just fine with these 2 exceptions...

1.  If the PC's display goes off or the PC goes to sleep, you get a black screen on trying to turn on the display or wake.

So the workaround is to have the screen always on, and the PC to never sleep.

2.  The SMSC infrared driver will not install on v1903 and v1909.

No big deal.  I never used that device in my life.

I don't use the notebook very much, so those quirks are of no major concern to me.

But the PC does all if the updates, etc., just fine.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Sorry for not getting back to you on this sooner but have been struggling some more so hope you can shed some more wisdom my way.

I made the bootable v1803 DVD disk using the Windows7 USB DVD Download Tool you kindly sent and have been trying to boot the nw8240 from it every which way I can think of, so far without success. BIOS boot options are set to boot from CD/DVD, USB hdd, USB CD/DVD, hdd, network in that order although I've tried all combinations of order without success. The bootable DVD works fine because I've tried it on a different laptop and it boots into the Win10 install screens. When booting from the v1803 DVD on the nw8240 however, it starts by spinning up and reading the DVD first, then proceeds to a DOS screen instructing you to Press any key to boot from CD or DVD and pressing any key. It then continues to read the DVD,  produces the small blue MS window icon for a few seconds, then the window and spinning circle for a couple of minutes and then a blue error screen with the message "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." Also part of message for passing onto any support people is "Stop Code IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. It then goes onto reboot normally from the hdd.

I've also made a bootable USB memory stick with v1803 but that simply locks up at the small blue MS window and goes no further, rather like your experience with the USB memory stick version.

Any ideas what else I can try to get the nw8240 to boot properly from the v1803 DVD?

Cheers and have a great weekend.

George

HP Recommended

Hi, George:

Unfortunately, I don't have any idea why you can't boot from the DVD.

You did exactly what I did and the DVD booted for me.

Would you like an older ISO file, like 1709 and see if you can boot from that?

I don't remember what version of W10 I clean installed on my nc6400, but it wasn't 1803, and I gave the PC away a while back so I can't even experiment with booting from v1803.

There might be something past a certain version where the PC doesn't like the file.

Do you have another Windows DVD like Vista orW7 you can try to boot from and isolate the problem to the W10 disk and not the PC?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.