lostceil
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Laptop Blue Screen of death, then laptop dinging

HP Recommended
[edit]
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have about a month left on my warranty and last week, after a restart for an update, my laptop decided to wake me up to a blue screen of death. The error message said there was a kernel something missing. I called my son, who is in Computer Security/IT to come over and take a look at it. He ended up having to do a complete recovery.  Ok, so puter is back to normal right? Yes, for a couple of days. Now, every now and again, it tries to lock up when it is coming out of sleep.  I get a soft blue screen that waits about 2 mins before it will fully load.  Let me say that my husband bought this computer last November, (2017), for me when my desktop died. I didn't even start working on this computer until May of this year due to my fear that if I did start working on it, it would consume my time.  I have a Chromebook that I use for work so no real reason to work on a new puter.  I had to get new glasses and that made me switch to this laptop. However, these problems should not be happening on a new laptop. Now when I start this laptop up it is "dinging" at me until I start working. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the heck is going on?

1 REPLY 1
Flower_Bud
Retired
Retired
5,216 5,204 271 393
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@lostceil

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, your notebook gets a blue screen, 

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

What is the exact error message or could you share a picture of the screen with the error message?

Were there any hardware/software changes made?

While you respond to that, let's perform a system test to ensure hardware is good: 

• Press the Power button to turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until you see HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.
  • From the UEFI main menu, click System Tests, then click Quick Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take up to 15 minutes.
  • If no system component failed, please go back to main menu and Exit from the screen

Let me know how this goes,

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation