Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (122 Views)

Laptop broken after factory reset

Product Name: HP Notebook - 17-p161dx 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I factory reset my laptop and it will not go past the setup page. When I turn on my laptop it asks me for the basic setup questions like, "home country/region", "preferred app language", "time zone", etc. Then after clicking next it asks about settings and I click "use express settings". Ive tried customizing them as well with no luck. Then it says "Just a moment" and will load for a second, then goes to a black screen with the start up HP logo again. Im back to the page that its asking for my basic setup questions... Ive tried pressing repeatedly during the loading screen F2, F10, and F11 and none work. Please tell me how to fix this!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (112 Views)

Re: Laptop broken after factory reset

Need to run a hardware diagnosis. Tap esc as you power up, then select F2, look for component tests and run full tests on memory and hard drive. Report back with results, please. 

Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (72 Views)

Everything passed except for battery. It didnt fail it just says "OK"
Provost
Message 4 of 6 (71 Views)

What are you using for recovery? A usb drive, DVD or the recovery partition on the hard drive?

Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (46 Views)

I dont know a lot about computers lol so i didnt know I had to have one of those to recover it? Im not sure what the next steps are. I just factory resetted it and thought it was just going to turn back on like a phone
Provost
Message 6 of 6 (45 Views)

OK humor me a bit...how did you factory reset? F11 as you power up? You want technical help you have to provide some details. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation