Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Probook 450 GO
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So, the problem started a couple of weeks ago. I would hear random "dotting" noise coming from my speakers or even in my headphones when plugged, but they were harmless, and it was usually one dot then nothing at all.

A couple of days ago, it got worse, the dotting noise would keep going and my laptop would stop working. They're continues sounds, and my caps and num lock turn on immediately, the laptop starts typing or doing random commands on its own and I cannot neither turn off the locks nor do anything else in the matter. The crusor can still navigate the screen but I can't click on anything, and the only thing that helps before it does anything that damages my system, is turning it off through the power button.

I tried blowing off any dirt, thinking that it might have been the problem, and the laptop worked fine for a couple more days before crashing down again, and when I'm still in the BIOS, there are beeping noises present until I press the power button again to shut it down. However, the BIOS beeping noise doesn't come back when I re-start it a couple of minutes later, but it can come again after a few days.

I thought the problem was the keyboard and I removed it to check. My laptop worked prefectly for a few more days then the dotting noise returned. I was using the On-screen keyboard and noticed that the caps lock on it is on as well without me turning it on, and I can't turn it off as I click on it. Some other times, when I drage the crusor on the screen and go to select an item, all of the above items are selected, and it causes a problem when trying to open a file or go online as it starts to do random commands that it shouldn't.

The laptop sometimes doesn't even make it to the desktop to start the dotting noise, but sometimes I can work on it for four hours before I hear it and it crashes down again.

I'm using ESET NOD32 Antivirus and no virus is detected. I checked my laptop heat and it was cool. My RAM usage is also not very high. I'm operating on Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) with Intel i5 processor, 2.60 GHz and 6 GB RAM.

I had the laptop for two years and a half now and it's out of warranty.

Any thoughts on how to fix this issue?

I've recorded the dotting sound HERE

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

You have a keyboard problem like a key pressed, or keyboard malfunction, detect any key pressed and realease or replace the keyboard

HP Recommended

@Anisio wrote:

You have a keyboard problem like a key pressed, or keyboard malfunction, detect any key pressed and realease or replace the keyboard

I removed the keyboard completely and was working on the On-screen keyboard but the problem is still present.

HP Recommended

motherboard connector for keyboard have problems

HP Recommended

@Anisio wrote:

motherboard connector for keyboard have problems

How do I fix that?

HP Recommended

return need to replace the motherboard, have your computer keys on top or side like to volume up and down or change brights its possible to have problems on that cable too or board maybe is not the keyboard is the hotkeys board.

HP Recommended

@Anisio wrote:

return need to replace the motherboard, have your computer keys on top or side like to volume up and down or change brights its possible to have problems on that cable too or board maybe is not the keyboard is the hotkeys board.

Separated keys you mean that are not connected to the keyboard itself? I only have the wifi, sound on/off and the power button, and I hardly think the problem is within any of them as they work just fine. If any hotkey would be the problem then the keyboard itself would be the problem, and like you said earlier, it might be the motherboard connector. But are you sure? Because it's very costy to replace that.

HP Recommended

no keys look any different- it all seems to be the same just the pad is not working.

HP Recommended

do you understand if you gotta a sound a key is pressed the problem is a key pressed if you remove the keyboard and mouse pad and wifi button and use a usb keyboard and mouse and the problem still there your problem is the motherboard you can try a linux version USB to make sure your system dont have problems

HP Recommended

@fede72 wrote:

no keys look any different- it all seems to be the same just the pad is not working.

I connected a USB mouse and disabled the touch pad but the problem is still present.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.