Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I bought my laptop August of 2018 for school and just recently it's started to lose all my documents and anything I had on it. It seems like it started happening after I logged into a WiFi system at a hotel. I left it on twice and both times when I restart it, it's back to manufacturer settings and all my stuff is gone. I have some stuff saved with OneDrive but it's quite annoying when I have to recover everything every time I turn it back on. Anyone else have this issue?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MoAnn88 

You said you used Hotel WiFi systems -- and in most, if not all cases, those are unsecure -- opening you up to infection my malware agents, and the problems you are reporting are typical of such agents.

Here's a thread from Norton about the risks of open WiFi:  https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-wifi-why-hackers-love-public-wifi.html

My suggestion, if you are going to persist in using open WiFi systems, is to investigate the use of VPN products.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. Do you have a suggestion on how to fix the issues?

HP Recommended

@MoAnn88 

From your post, it sounded like you recovered everything and want to prevent having to do that over and over.

The solution, as best I can tell, is to use a VPN when connected to open WiFi systems.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I apologize for the confusion, let me rephrase. I did not recover my windows back to my original user settings. It was set back to manufacturer settings and I started again from scratch with my documents and photos that were saved from my OneDrive. I have done this twice now because it keeps resetting back to manufacturer settings and wiping my computer out. Today, I tried to restart in safe mode and everything was back to normal and I have my original settings back, so NOW I have recovered everything. Does that mean I am no longer at risk at this time or do I need to purchase additional protection from malware or is my McAfee anti-spyware and anti-virus sufficient protection? I will just refrain from using my computer on open networks from this point on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.