Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 17-ab355nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, I think I need your help or advice here:

My HP laptop type 17-ab355nd (3 years old) suddenly started shutting down without warning. This never happened before, but it keeps happening since yesterday. It shuts down at ~5 up to ~25 minutes after power up. It never lasts longer than this. Here's what I did so far:

- Monitored temperature with HW monitoring software. Temperatures like CPU and GPU never get above ~65 degrees Celsius.

- Nothing special found in Windows Event Log. No warning/error/info about the stop, so it seems the shutdown (hard power off) is really triggered by hardware and Windows will never know what happened.

- Ran BIOS tests. The short test executed fine, the extended test never makes it to the end, as the system stops long before the test is completed

- Booted to BIOS, entered the BIOS setup menu, leave the machine untouched. After ~15 minutes it spontaneously shut down again

Given the things I tried, I think we can rule out it's a Windows problem (bugs/drivers/virus/malware etc). I also highly doubt it's a temperature problem, as it never happened before until yesterday (even not under heavy load like long periods of video encoding) and now happens always (even when system is in complete rest). The temperature monitoring I did confirms this.

Any suggestions what this could be, or how to investigate further or how to fix would be greatly appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.