Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-bs115nv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. My HP laptop shuts down unexpectedly when running on battery mode - usually when battery is on 35-40%. There is no message for low battery and the laptop cannot restart unless it gets connected to the power. This does not occur when the laptop is connected with the power cord. The laptop is only 1 and 1/2 years old. 

What should I do? What may it happen?

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello @aimilp 

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Please, check this official HP article >> https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c04700771

• Test your battery using the F2 hardware diagnostics in the BIOS/UEFI
  • Completely drain down the battery and calibrate it as per the instructions - note that it may take long time/hours to complete it, depending on your battery status.

Let me know the test results and the calibration results.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Diagnostic test says battery is OK. But I cannot drain the battery to calibrate it. I followed the instructions and laptop shut down unexpectedly with battery on 48%.

HP Recommended

Can you elaborate ?

So, basically, you follow the steps here >> https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c04700771

They say , charge/dischange in BIOS/UEFI mode / re-charge

During the dischange, you should be in BIOS/UEFI mode doing indefinitely Memory test. There is no way for you to to see the battery % while in this mode. How do you know it is on 48% while it shuts down unexpectedly ?

No offense 🙂 I just want to make sure we are on the same page, basically.

Do you mean it shuts down even when you are in the BIOS/UEFI mode ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I followed all the instructions described in there. I did not see battery percentage in UEFI mode, but the laptop went shut down while performing the memory test (in UEFI mode). I connected the power cord and restarted the laptop and then saw that battery was on 48%. I charged it fully again, but next time the PC shut down on 61%! I work only with the power on now and that's a big problem as it's a laptop and not a desktop... should I change the battery set?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Both BIOS and UEFI are updated...

HP Recommended

Glad to hear that you updated your BIOS successfully.

Any change ?

HP Recommended

Not at all. BIOS was already updated, the machine is only 1 1/2 yrs old.

HP Recommended

Is it still under active warranty or any other coverage (by any chance) ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.