Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi! @wanegain, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

Does your laptop shut down when connected to an adapter?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Also, you get a message the battery is low and your laptop shuts down.

If your laptop does not shut down when it is connected to an adapter. It could be an issue with the battery.

Try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

As the battery is a consumable part the life of the battery decreases each time you charge your laptop.

Factors that contribute to loss of battery capacity.

Li-Ion battery cells suffer gradual, irreversible capacity loss with each discharge-charge cycle. Such aging occurs more rapidly as temperature and discharges loads increase.
The self-discharge rate of a Li-Ion battery is higher if the battery is left in an unpowered notebook.
During prolonged storage or non-use, the battery charge will decrease below its recommended low-voltage level.
Leaving the battery in a depleted condition for an extended period will accelerate the decrease in FCC.
Leaving the battery at a high level of charge in a high-temperature environment for extended periods (for example, running a notebook computer in a docking station under a heavy load) will accelerate the loss of capacity.
Running high-end applications using the battery accelerates the loss of capacity. For example, playing 3D games will lower FCC faster than using word processing applications.

However, you can try the steps recommended below.

Open Power Options on Windows 10.
Click Change plan settings for any of the power plans. I would suggest you choose the power saver plan.
Now click Change advanced power settings.
Under the Advanced Settings tab, scroll down to find Processor power management.
Now, expand (click on +) Processor power management.
Expand Maximum processor state.
Click the On-battery option and reduce the processor state to 20%. You can choose any other value.
Click Ok. The settings are saved, you can close the Power Options window.

Enable Adaptive Brightness
Go to Power Options select change advanced power settings
Go to the Change advanced power settings. Expand Display> expand Enable Adaptive Brightness. Now, turn on Adaptive Brightness for On-battery and Plugged in options (whichever you like. Click Ok to save the settings.

If the issue still persists try uninstalling the battery drivers device manager.

Search for and open Device Manager.
Click next to Batteries to expand the battery options.
With the options expanded, right-click each ACPI option and in the menu, click Uninstall.
Restart the computer.
The battery should now charge properly.

Refer this article to know how to run a battery test and perform a battery calibration on your laptop.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello !

Thanks for your reply. My laptop is an HP pavilion Gaming Notebook series 5CD549628D, product number P0S76EA#ABF running win 10 64 bits. The battery does a strange thing as it indicates it's 69% charged when plugged in, and if I unplug it the battery now says it's 80% charged. It doesn't make sense to me, as I ran the battery test you suggested and it turns out it's "OK". The software doesn't say it needs to be calibrated either. I cannot find any update to the BIOS for my laptop either. I uninstalled the battery drivers but the issue is still here.

It seems like I cannot trust the battery charge indicator. Does it make sense to you ? How could I correct that ?

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hello ?
What do you think ?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.