Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For the past few days my laptop has been trapped in an endless loop of auto repair to auto shutdown back to auto repair. It started a few days ago when I noticed Google Chrome kept freezing, and then the search bar on the desktop toolbar disappeared. I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to pull up a safe option to restart the computer, but after hitting restart, it never shutdown . Eventually, I was forced to push the power button and shut it down manually.  Then it went into a Fixing stage 1 screen, and eventually it got to a screen that said "Repairing disk error. This might take over an hour." It took WELL over an hour. It took several hours. I left it on over night, and when I checked it in the morning, it was off. So, I attempted to turn it on again and it went into the "Fixing stage 1" thing again . It got stuck on that process for about 12 hours, with an ETA of about 33 hours. I was again forced to leave it on over night. Once again, I woke up in the morning and the computer was off. I turned it on again, and after a long HP loading screen, it did boot to Windows. I set it aside to allow Windows to fully boot. I checked on it again after about an hour, and it was off. I then decided to use a bootable Windows drive to try to repair try and repair Windows, and now it is again saying "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour." It has been on that screen now for 10 hours. 

I have not added any new hardware. I have not done anything out of the ordinary with it. I did have to reformat the hard drive about a month ago because it crashed and couldn't recognize the drive. This issue is different than that. It recognizes the drive just fine. It just keeps getting stuck on these auto repair screens and then shuts down before I'm able to do anything. 

Please help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi
First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

Then we deal with software issues.

HP Recommended

Ok, so I did all of that. I ran both hdd tests and both came back as "SMART Check: Passed. Long/Short DST: Failed". I assume that means I need a new hdd? There was nothing crucial on the drive I needed to salvage, as I just reformatted it a month ago.

I also ran a test on the RAM, and that passed. So, I take it I just have to replace the drive? Is there anything else I should do before that? 

HP Recommended

Hi

No. You seem to be ahead of the curve.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.