Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g4-2040TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all. I have a problem with my laptop. In my Laptop's BIOS (InsydeH20 03.72.32F.26), there's an option to enable/disable Legacy Mode. I've formatted my thumb drive (HP v220w 8GB) to FAT32 using Rufus and create UEFI-bootable with it. After restart, change the Legacy mode to disable, reboot again and it says "Boot Device not found (3F0)", it's normal right? since i've changed the Legacy mode but, after press the F9 button (Boot Device menu) It's empty. Go back to the error code and Press F2 (Diagnostic) because it's UEFI-based too, but what did i get is "HP Diagnostic ver 1.6.0.0" and i already installed ver 5.9.0.0, so i put a conclusion that my BIOS is broken/corrupted and affected my UEFI mode. Any Solutions? Thanks in advance 😄

P.S: Sorry if i'm a noob or my english isn't good

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The tutorial explains you to make a GPT format. The article will also describes the creation of an associated  EFI system partition, which is required for an OS to boot in EFI mode. 

Disabling legacy mode should enable booting in EFI if the hard drive and OS are set up in a GPT partition with a correct BCD file and EFI partition.

I would test this on a spare hard drive if I were you. I always do it that way to avoid nasty no-boot scenarios when experimenting with partitioning types. It gives me a plan "B" to fall back on, just in case things do go south.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Nope. Disabling secure boot  didn't affect the BIOS. It did affect the hard disk. Here is a quote from a Microsoft web document regarding changing the secure boot setting in BIOS. There is a big downside and you have found it. It is time to recover your notebook to factory image by using the recovery media that you should have created by now.

"After disabling Secure Boot and installing other software and hardware, it may be difficult to re-a...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

No, not the Secure boot. It's separated in my BIOS and i can't change it (Secure boot is greyed out in my BIOS)

HP Recommended

OK. I should have read it a bit closer.

Secure boot should have been enabled as a default factory setting. It has been the case on my previous three HP loan product notebooks. That is the case in the BIOS settings found under Boot options in the BIOS of my current product loan Omen 15.

Enter the BIOS and go to system configuration. Locate and select load default settings. If that does not work then you will have to download the most current BIOS softpaq and run it on another PC. You will need to have a usb flash drive to install it to. Once installed to the usb flash drive, you can plug it into a port on the notebook with the issue and boot to it to recover the BIOS on the notebook. Recovering the BIOS will return the settings to default and should make the hard disk viewable on the boot list again.  

The problem you were having is that the BIOS was previously set to look for an EFI sector instead of a MBR boot sector, which it would find in a MBR partitioned hard disk. Your hard disk is GPT partitioned and the bootable partition has a UEFI marker. 

HP Recommended

I've done the Load Default settings and it isn't work. For the "Update to the Latest BIOS version" No newer version is available for my Notebook. I've downloaded it too, and placed that to USB drive as "Recovery", restarted my notebook and it load Windows 10 instead (I still cI'm using my Notebook with MBR Partition, but i wanna install Windows 10 in GPT Partition). What should i do? Is there any button combination do i need to press at the BIOS screen?

EDIT:

Can i reinstall the same BIOS version as i'm using in my Notebook? I've tried that (Extract the SoftPaq (sp66805), run the InsydeFlash, selected the "Update" option, my Notebook restart itself, and after passing the BIOS screen, nothing shows up at the Display, no LED blink or beep)

HP Recommended

If you use the recovery media, it should install the operating system in GPT format.

The notebook did not load Windows 10 instead of the original operating system without your agreeing to it.

Is your notebook still in warranty?

Check your warranty status Here.

HP Recommended

The warranty is already expired, but i've used the recovery media and it seems installed my factory OS (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) in MBR format. Why? Because i can dual boot with Windows 8.1 (after using the recovery media) without reformatting the entire disk/convert it to MBR

HP Recommended

So you are after an explanation of how to set up the notebook in GPT format so you can dual boot?

HP Recommended

No. At that moment, i still didn't know about MBR and GPT. but i've dual-booted Windows 7 Home Premium (Factory) with Windows 8.1 2 years ago, and i used the "Windows 7 USB/DVD Tools" to create a bootable Setup Media

Right now. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit only.

HP Recommended

If the issue is that it still has BIOS issue, you can download the PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI from the following page, install it to a usb flashdrive and put the BIOS 0183AF26.bin file in the HP_Tools folder. Look at the Windows 8 drivers to find the BIOS update softpaq file.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/pps/pl_...

Boot to the PC Diagnostics flashdrive and use the firmware management utility to flash the BIOS.  That should resolve the no boot issue you are having.  

Once you do that then I will find you some information on GPT format. 

The problem you will run into, is that your Windows 10 instalation is likely to be using the license that your notebook was delivered with for the originally onstalled OS. You will need seperate licenses for the other operating systems. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.