Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
My laptop has suddenly stopped loading past the login screen. At first it would get me to the desktop but would only flash the icons on and off. I tried restarting it and even restoring it to factory settings, but it won't let me do that. There is always an error. I don't know what is wrong with it. Anyone have any ideas or diagnosis?
16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

This is happening because Windows cannot start/boot .It may be caused due to simple Windows hung, hardware problem (e.g. your HDD) or it may be caused by faulty Windows Update, some other faulty update/driver, corrupted bootloader / Boot Configuration Data in Windows etc....

Could you please provide details about your PC model ? What exactly did you did and what kind of errors you encounter ?

1. Try hard restart/hard reset.

Press the power on-button on your PC and hold it for about 5-10 seconds until your computer powers off completely.

Remove and unplug any external periferals and accessories.

Press once the power-on button to turn on the PC and wait if it will start now. Wait...

If it still fails to load properly, go ahead with the next steps

2. Perform some basic hardware checks to rule out hardware problem

- Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold for a few seconds until PC powers off)

- Power the computer back on.

As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu

- Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD (hard disk drive) and RAM check (memory check).

Let me know the test results. If the tests pass without issues, continue. If not, please, let me know

3. Repeat steps 1-2 above but when HP Startup menu opens, please choose F11 for System Recovery options.

The computer should boot from it's recovery partition to open you various recovery options. Note, that F11 option will only work if the recovery partition is there (not deleted) and intact. From there, you have prenty of options to choose from. Every HP computer comes with recovery partition present to assist in tough moments.

Please, perform "System Restore" first in an attempt to fix the issue. Please, restore back to previous days (restore point) where the issue was not present. Here is more info:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545#AbT5

>> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Provide your feedback/reply.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
It passed all of the tests but when I tried to restore it there was a problem and it said no changes were made. This has happened multiple times before. I have a HP Pavilion. I've tried everything and nothing seems to be working. It's not an old laptop, it's practically new.
HP Recommended

Hello @RachelIlys

Since the hardware diagnostics passed, this means it is all software problem (Windows and your recovery partition) and not your PC/hardware. This is the better news.

In order to provide you with specific instructions, could you post your full HP product model and product number (p/n). Here is how to find the information >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

What was the operating system you used before the incident ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi

Maybe if you could make a repair disk or USB, it may be able to help.  Whatever your course of action backing up your data is a sensible choice.

ADJUST SECURE/LEGACY BOOT & BOOT ORDER AS NEEDED.

HP Recommended
How could I make a repair disk or USB if it won't load?
HP Recommended

@RachelIlys wrote:
How could I make a repair disk or USB if it won't load?

Hi @RachelIlys

Please, provide with the information about your HP PC model and the operating system, I can provide you a specific solution with details after that. I could have provided you a generic suggestions but they would not be very useful.

Let me know if you have important files 'hiding' inside your PC which you definitely need to back up (attempt to back up , because I don't know what and how much your factory reset has gone).

Looking forward to your update.

HP Recommended
It's the HP Pavilion, windows 10
HP Recommended

@RachelIlys wrote:
It's the HP Pavilion, windows 10

I don't want to sound rude or like a bad guy but I know it's Pavilion, you posted this already. But which Pavilion, there are literally hundreds of different models. Please, review this and post the full product model and product number (p/n) so that I can identify your model >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please, don't get me wrong but your details are very important for the best and correct reply because I am not your friend or relative, I am not near your PC, I don't know exactly what happened, when and why (you didn't post it). I can only assume some default or common options but if you don't fall into the cathergory of common stuff, my suggestion won't be your solution.

In your initial post you posted you tried to restore to factory default but it hadn't let you. What happened, what was the error message then ?

- Did your PC come with Windows 10 preinstalled or it was installed at a later time ?

Looking forward to your reply. 🙂

HP Recommended
What happens if the laptop doesn't pass the system test?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.