Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MamaAshNicole
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop won't load past the login screen

I am having the same issue with my hp getting frozen/stuck on the log in screen. I read that I should restart the computer and hit the ESC button, then run the quick test - I did that and
Hard Drive Short DST Check FAILED

PLEASE HELP

9 REPLIES 9
Level 15
Level 15
8,996 8,891 727 3,269
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @MamaAshNicole

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

In order to provide you more customized and tailored instructions how to fix the problem, please post your HP product model and product number (p/n). Here is how to get the information >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

The error you mention above tells me that the storage disk drive (HDD) has failed.  Since this is faulty storage/hardware component, you will probably not be able to recovery your files. If you want to attempt data recovery, please let me know and I may post additional instructions.

Looking forward to your reply.

Your feedback and update is highly appreciated
*** Click on the button below to accept this advice as a solution if it helped you
*** Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say thanks or give like 
index.png
HP Expert - volunteer - not employed by HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only. *** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional *** Location/timezone: Europe
0 Kudos
Jacqui1980
3 3 0 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I’m having this issue also. When I turn on my computer I get the home screen but when I try to login nothing happens

did System quick test as per recommendations and results indicate:

battery check NOT INSTALLED

all other tests PASSED

thanks

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
8,996 8,891 727 3,269
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Jacqui1980

Could you post your full HP computer model and product number (p/n) - here is how to find the information >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

What is the operating system you use (used) on this PC ?

Have you tried performing SYSTEM RESTORE in attempt to "turn back time"

System Restore is a software program available in all modern versions of Windows. System Restore automatically creates restore points, a memory of the system files and settings on the computer at a particular point in time. You can also create a restore point yourself. Then, when you use System Restore to restore your computer to a point in time before an issue began, System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

Here is more info and how to do it:

>> https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c03327545#AbT5

>> https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

*** Click on the button below to accept this advice as a solution if it helped you
index.png
HP Expert - volunteer - not employed by HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only. *** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional *** Location/timezone: Europe
0 Kudos
Jacqui1980
3 3 0 1
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

its the Pavilion G6

i have tried system restore and the result returned was that a serious issue had occurred and couldn’t be restored. It advised me to repair the corrupted C drive. I tried this, indicated it had been repaired but same error message when tried to restore.

thank you

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
8,996 8,891 727 3,269
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jacqui1980

You do confirm that the hard disk drive tests (F2) passed, do you ?

If System Restore cannot be performed and if the hardware tests pass, you will need to restore the PC to factory default condition or reinstall Windows from scratch. In order to be more specific and concrete in the advise/steps, would you please tell me

# your full HP computer model and product number (p/n) - here is how to find the information >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Just Pavilion G6 is very generic

# What is the operating system you use (used) on this PC ?

- Is it Windows 7, 8 , 10 ? Another one?

index.png
0 Kudos
Jacqui1980
3 3 0 1
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there

im on Windows 10

model g6-2398sa

product E3D62EA#ABU

Serial. [edited]

Thank you

Level 15
Level 15
8,996 8,891 727 3,269
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Jacqui1980

Thank you for providing me with this information.

I see the model originally comes with Windows 8 but you have upgraded it to Windows 10. In this case you may reinstall Windows 10 - clean vanially installation. If you have some important files which must be kept/saved and you do not have any backups of these files, please let me know.

Here are instructions how to clean install/reinstall Windows 10:

Video reference >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAvFm52IjI4

Windows reinstallation / clean installation :

- You can directly download Windows 10 ISO from MS site or download >> Media creation tool from Microsoft site, create installation DVD or installation USB  and  proceed with clean installation/reinstallation.

Download:

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Make sure you select the proper version (64 bit / Home or Pro) if asked.

Media Creation tool will always provide you with the latest Windows version/build - now 1809.

- When download completes, you will need to write  the ISO image and boot from a bootable media. You will need a blank USB pendrive (min 4 GB capacity). Use the Media Creation tool.

When ready with the USB drive or with the DVD:

Please, shutdown the computer using the power button.

Insert the Windows USB thumdrive prepared previously

Power on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, start hitting the Esc button repeatedly (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the USB thumb drive as a boot option.

- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 10. Perform clean installation/custom installation (not repair).

Delete all existing partitions and install Windows on Disc 0 Unallocated space

- After successful Windows installation, install drivers taken from HP web site or via Windows Update/Device Manager >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

- Make sure Windows is Activated by going to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Activation

- You might want to stop some of the Windows Telemetry by using free tools such as Spybot AntiBeacon or DWS Lite

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes

index.png
Step-by-step instructions to do a clean installation of the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803), and learn the steps to configure the out-of-box experience (OOBE). ** Important: Windows 10 version 1803 (April 2018 Update) is expected to release in April 2018. If you use the Media Creation
0 Kudos
Sunshinesg
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How can I do a system restore if I can’t log into my computer?

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
8,996 8,891 727 3,269
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Sunshinesg 

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

If you are unable to login to your computer, you are correct - you cannot use System Restore. Consider reinstalling your operating system. If you use Windows 10, here are instructions which you can follow >> https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Recovery-disks-not-working-on-l...

index.png
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation