Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G62-b50em
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
Last night while I was using my laptop it suddenly shut down without any error or message. It wasn't overheating as it was on only for about 15 minutes. I couldn't turn it back on afterwards. The charging light in on like everything is normal. Battery was full and laptop was plugged in. When I try to turn it on with pressing the power on button, the button itself blinks for about half a second, maybe even less, the fan starts running for about the same time, the light that indicates that laptop is plugged in, the one I mentioned earlier, shuts down and that's it, nothing happens. I tried the hard reset but it didn't help. What could be the problem? Laptop is about 4 years old.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Unfortunately the laptop is not under warranty. So it's one of those two things probably?

The thing is maybe a year ago the same thing happened (sorry I didn't mention it earlier, just now remembered it as I had a lot of trouble with this laptop before, can't keep track any more) and the problem was the motherboard. I can't rememer if the symptoms were exactly the same but I remember laptop not being able to power on. From what I was told the motherboard was replaced as at that time it was still under warranty. I sure hope it's not the same thing again. As I don't have the luxury to again wait for more than a month.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended
I think I should mention that I've been getting the replace battery message for quite a while now. Battery could only hold for around 15minutes fully charged.
HP Recommended
Guys?
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum and Welcome !

Please, review this HP article about your issue >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443371

and perform the steps that are related to your specific case.

Let me know what you performed and if it works for you.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
I've done a hard reset exactly as it's written in the article but it didn't help.

When I press the power button there is just one blink on the power button and on the wifi button. The blink lasts for less than half a second. At the same time the fan is heard starting up but suddenly stops (also lats for less than half a second). Also the charging light shuts down in the same time these two blink and it's back on as soon as these other two, that just blink for half a sec, turn off. The charging light is glowing white while the laptop is plugged in, which indicates that battery is full if I remember correctly, so no flashing or orange color or anything like that. So that's pretty much all there is to it.
HP Recommended
Also the lights on the numlock and capslock don't blink, nothing. So just these that I've mentioned.
HP Recommended

You are correct about charging but still ot could be related to the power OR it could be related to the motherboard.

If you performed what is suggested in the article, this will need to be checked by a technician onsite.

If the computer is under warranty - you need to inform HP support for this issue.

You can bring the computer (or ship it) to HP authorized service center. If you are not sure where such is located, you can contact HP for the location of the closest to you >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
Unfortunately the laptop is not under warranty. So it's one of those two things probably?

The thing is maybe a year ago the same thing happened (sorry I didn't mention it earlier, just now remembered it as I had a lot of trouble with this laptop before, can't keep track any more) and the problem was the motherboard. I can't rememer if the symptoms were exactly the same but I remember laptop not being able to power on. From what I was told the motherboard was replaced as at that time it was still under warranty. I sure hope it's not the same thing again. As I don't have the luxury to again wait for more than a month.
HP Recommended
Uff I accidently pressed the solution thing on my phone. Can I reverse the action somehow?
HP Recommended

Well, if this is happening for a second time and if the motherboard was already replaced, this needs to be checked by HP.

I asked for a moderator to escalate your post to a special team inside HP. They will probably review the situation and work with you. You may be contacted here in private in the following days. Keep a eye on your private messages.

Sorry, this seems it cannot be fixed remotely.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.