Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,
I have an HP OMEN laptop model ax248tx bought 2 years ago(I am not in warranty).
My issue is that my laptop won't boot up, its stuck on OMEN logo screen and netiher it goes into the recovery menu or safe mode. Also,if I try to boot it from a USB drive, same thing happens.
I checked the hard disk if it had failures, but it passed all the DST checks and also I used the hard disk in another laptop and it is working just fine(actually I am using the same while writing this post).
Also, I replaced the RAM, cleaned it etc but to no avail.
Now, the main thing to which I am most worried about i.e the motherboard.
The Caps Lock key on my laptop is blinking when I turn on the laptop: 5 long 3 short, pause then 2 long to which I looked, and found that most probably its the issue with the motherboard.
I checked the error logs and there were two of them:

• 03F0 - If I am not wrong is the Hard Disk error but as I said the hard disk is working fine in another laptop.
  • 0021 -  I am not sure about this one, probably motherboard.
    I took the laptop to a local repair shop and he told me that there is a problem with the graphics card, precisely he said that the graphics card somehow is not getting enough power and thats causing the problem(eh?).
    So, finally after all this, I came here hoping for a GOD level tech guy who suggests me that: "It is not the motherboard, there is a simple fix for this which wont cost me $300-400"(probably more in my country, I am from India). So, help me in resolving this issue.

And , also one more thing, I just want HP to step up their game in improving the quality of the products, atleast for the ones which are expensive. Why I am saying this? because from  the time I have brought this laptop, I am having issues with something or another like-
  • Within the first 4-5 months, I got one of my fan replaced as it was making very loud noises, then just after the warranty ended, the other fan also started making noise, other than this there are also issues with the heating.
  • Huge fps drops while gaming after 1 hour(the system started to boil, even in air conditioned room) and I also dont game that much, like 2-3 hours at max or say 10 hours a week at max which I think the gaming laptop is meant for.
  • Batteries are a bit swollen up though the backup was still decent so I didnt get it replaced.
    Hard disk issue- while copying large files it pauses for a while and also speed it gave me was around 40-50mbps while when the laptop was new it gave like 70-90mbps.
  • And finally this, the motherboard issue, which is probably unrecoverable and if I replace it, it will cost me,as I said atleast $300-400 in my country, and if I invest a little much I can buy a new laptop for basic needs!
    Its like all the main components have gone faulty at least once.

So, I hope you guys dont take me wrong but you know it is really frustating when you invest a really decent amount of money in these things hoping that it will deliver what its meant for and have better quality over others and then you face this.
    It might be possible that I might be the only guy in the world having these issues, but again I think a single customer is important for a firm :).
    At last, again I would like to request the community memebers to help me in resolving this issue.
    Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi

You get a LONG (MAJOR) signal category, RED LED &

then a SHORT (MINOR) signal category, WHITE LED.

Major – the category of the error; Minor – specific error in that category

The AUDIBLE repeats 5 times, and the VISUAL until power is removed.

Main-

(Mother)

Board

The embedded controller times out waiting for the BIOS.

Component is not reachable by BIOS in certain time limit.

1 Reseat component.

2 Test known good component.

3 Replace component or Main-Board as needed.

So I cannot blythely tell you that it is not the Board.  However

Swollen battery, Battery recall.  Swollen Battery internal Damage???

Since you haven't given the SKU: I cant really check.  However, if it's....

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-15-ax200-laptop-pc/13810162/model/16180672

HP PCs - HP Recommends Firmware Update for Certain Hard Drives

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-15-ax200-laptop-pc/13810162/model/16180672/document/...

OMEN by HP Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide4.32MB
 HP Notebook Hard Drives & Solid State Drives Identifying, Preventing, Diagnosing and Recovering fro...0.22MB

Create Windows 10 installation media

To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below.

https://lubuntu.net/downloads/      Runs without needing a HDD so...........
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for a quick reply.

First , I just want to make it clear that the blinking light of caps lock LED is always white.

Second, about battery, I know that I should have got it replaced as it was swallon but as I said, it was still giving me a decent backup so I didn't go for the new one.

And third, can you please elaborate your solution step by step as I didn't get few things.

And also, about SKU, can you tell me how to find that? And also what does the error code in logs means? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

The SKU defines the build of the model, like country or HDDs or SSD actually fitted. But I think the links I gave are accurate.

As to the Lead's you need to use the HP beep and blink lookup page.  I took a guess from your IPC and was possibly wrong.

HP Recommended

First be exact about what / which LED's blink.

And their precise sequence.

Then we try and anylise those.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply.

Coming to the topic, I want to make it clear that the CAPS LOCK blinks are 5 short and 3 long and the color of the blinks of CAPS LOCK LED is 'white'.

I hope that will help 🙂 Also what does the log error messages mean? and is there any way to find that the board is dead?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi

Look it up.

CPU not  detected.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Sorry, but in my case there are no 'RED' blinks, only 'WHITE'..they are 5 long (COLOR:WHITE) and 3 short(COLOR: WHITE) blinks.

So, if I go by that, then it shows it as a motherboard issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.