Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
13-s120nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 12-s120nr   and  would like to upgrade the  factory provided  HD with a SSD 1TB  

I cloned the  drive :

Will not boot  

Rebuilt the  EFI  , tried cloning paritions  inctead  of disk etc  

Each time it  would  not  see the  hard drive  like  if it was defective 

I  booted in BIOS and  do not see the drive , it only appears when legact  boot is  enabled , even though I clean the  drive  with  diskpart etc 

I tried another drive  (not  SSD)  , cloned it with the  original disk and  cloned drive  worked with no issues , booted  normally 

I then  tried to install a new OS  with the  SSD drive  in the  laptop , with  legacy on as  theis  is the  only bios setting that sees  the  SSD and  when the bootable  USB  boots,  it is  not able to see the SSD when it  is time to install the  OS on the  hard  drive..... I am stumped  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I bought a much larger SSD drive and it is fully functional. The manual and guidelines should be updated to reflect same. 

Thank you for the assistance though . 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Scuba19

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

As per the Service Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04825536 on page 17 the Notebook supports up to 128 GB SSD

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I bought a much larger SSD drive and it is fully functional. The manual and guidelines should be updated to reflect same. 

Thank you for the assistance though . 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.