Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-ay039wm

Laptop firmware has a bug. First of all, it’s my laptop I purchased and used for years. I know the pin which is ALL it ever asked for. I put a password 4 years ago and forgot it. This is my laptop I use for work.  It was running poorly so I wanted to disable services and delete apps.  Msconfig and set the startup, reboot. Ok now MY laptop asks for the password.  I don’t know I never use it!

just get me back because now this is day three of no pc for my work, critical mass.... 

i update the associated microsoft password, go onto a page and can see the status of MY laptop. But no matter what it will not go back without the password which I tried for days. Just reset it and save files. Needs password. Catch 22. Cannot do anything and it will not sync to the updated ms password.

im treated like a thief at another place because hp firmware suddenly wants the password not pin? And hp firmware will not let me change the password of MY laptop, and not using the password in at least three years, I’m sorry I forgot it.  Shoot me, I forgot it. No recourse, no option to ?

now I’m able to use the registry and undo the msconfig, but would like hp help to proceed. I can show my license, address, Visa card used to buy the laptop from Walmart and the address, I have the box here. I used to fix computers and expected the hp was high quality and not break so no warranty, this is a design flaw, and any help is appreciated

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Bradley93427

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.