Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 17-AR050WM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop died, and while at a local Walmart I saw an HP on clearance and figured it would serve my needs until I could afford a better machine.  I thought it was new, but discovered once I turned it on that it had been a return and whomever had briefly had it had added a password.  

I called HP customer support right away, and after about a 20 minute hold, a representative assisted me and told me she could solve the issue.  I asked if I needed to be able to connect to the internet, which I currently cannot from my home, and I got the impression from her that was the case, to be the case so I said I'd call back later from somewhere that I could get online.

Today I stopped at a place where I can purchase WiFi access, but couldn't connect.  I called HP again, and finally got to speak to a person after nearly 40 minutes on hold.  He too said he could help, but then immediately went into a sales pitch and telling me I'd have to sign up for a service at a cost of around $40, plus $14.95, to get into my new computer.  I repeated that I'd just gotten the machine, supposidly new, and had never even used it.  He just went on and on about how much I'd like the service he was offering.  I finally asked to speak to a supervisor, and after another ten minutes someone came on.  I began explaining the situation to him, and after maybe five minutes either he hung up, or we were accidentally disconnected.  

I don't want to have to go through all of that again, which I assume I would if I call back.   Do I have any options other than paying them, or returning the machine to Walmart?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@KrazyKat308 

HP charges for support for password issues, and you should not have to deal with these issues with a new purchase.

If it were my PC, I would take it back to Walmart and complain bitterly that they had sold you a PC that you can not use -- and get your money back. 

Sorry, we are no longer able to provide any assistance with password reset or recovery issues.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your input.  If you don't mind I have a few dditional, though related, questions.  Shortly after I posted my original question I received an email, from HP Support, stating that my request for service had been received and providing me with a case number.  

As to my first question, is your response related to that, or seperate?  And if your response is unrelated to the email I received from HP Support, do you know if there is anything additional I should do.  The email included texts instructing me not to reply to the email, and as of yet I've gotten nothing more that referenced the case number.

And as to your suggestion, while I felt that ultimately I may have to return the machine to Walmart, I was hoping another solution might present itself.  Were it not for the password issue, I would have gotten a really good deal as I've looked online and all the others I've seen are more expensive.  Plus, I've invested a fair amount of time thus far, and it would be nice were that not to have been for nothing.  

Well, at this point  I'm just venting, so I'll leave it at that.  Thanks again.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.