Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

My laptop has recently been making very loud noises since it had been away for repair through my insurance provider, I had put this down to poor workmanship on the repair and had tried a few troubleshooting tips starting with removing the casing and checking for dust or contamination, everything looked fine and the sound persisted until I came across another troubleshooting article which advised checking the fan settings in the BIOS.

I noticed the fan was set to 'Always On' after switching this off my fan has been perfectly fine and back to being very quiet and do notice it speed up when the system requires it but still pretty quiet and at least there is no scary grinding noise but this left me with a few questions:-

1.) Why does this BIOS always on setting cause my fan to sound like it's grinding down the inside of my laptop?

2.) Why is this always on setting needed and when was it introduced?

3.) If it it's beneficial what can I do to apply always on and not have my fan sound like it's going to break?

Any help, advice would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@neilb86

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need the product number of your computer.

Follow the steps in the below article to find the product details.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello thanks replying my Product Number is 1VJ11EA#ABU

kind Regards,

HP Recommended

@neilb86

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you download and install the BIOS from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp111501-112000/sp111732.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.