Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Modified my user folder

HP Pavilion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When doing upgrades and modification to my folds, I had to access one of my user accounts thought the admin. However I had some problems trying to get into the user folder. To solve this I had to give access to my admin account. Shortly after, I tried to get into my my user account but kept getting stopped by system saying "we can not open the account now, to solve this problem please log out and sign back in." This went on for 30 mins. Getting tried of this, I restarted my computer and accessed my account. I finally log on, however everything on the user account had been wiped and looks identical to my admin account. Just looked into my files, my user account information is still there but the system seems to be using a new folder named "TEMP" to access the user account on screen. How do I solve this?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
24,956 24,730 2,148 7,905
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Modified my user folder

@AltheCalBoom 

@AltheCalBoom wrote:

When doing upgrades and modification to my folds, I had to access one of my user accounts thought the admin. However I had some problems trying to get into the user folder. To solve this I had to give access to my admin account. Shortly after, I tried to get into my my user account but kept getting stopped by system saying "we can not open the account now, to solve this problem please log out and sign back in." This went on for 30 mins. Getting tried of this, I restarted my computer and accessed my account. I finally log on, however everything on the user account had been wiped and looks identical to my admin account. Just looked into my files, my user account information is still there but the system seems to be using a new folder named "TEMP" to access the user account on screen. How do I solve this?

The following is speculation - I have not seen this problem...

Assuming you had created a Restore Point before making changes, you could use System Restore to reset the File System back to that point in time (date/time) at which you created that Restore Point.

That said, System Restore would not restore your account data (personal files and folders in your account). For that, you must now depend on your backups - this could be backup software you installed and use daily, your File History Backups (part of the OS, but they do need to have been switched on and configured).  If you were using OneDrive, that data is likely fine and will be once again available when you fix your account and log into OneDrive.

It is possible that System Restore would recover the overall User Accounts folder structure - having never duplicated exactly what you have done to your system, I am not sure about this aspect / detail.  IF the User Account structure were recovered, the data / files within the accounts might still need to be restored (from backups, for example) simply because System Restore does not impact personal data / files.  ??

If your personal account structure is ruined either as a result it not having been recovered by System Restore - or because you do not have (cannot run) a System Restore...

Assuming you have not done any actual / weird damage to the File System, the following might work to at least get you back to a point where you have an actual User Account that contains the normal (expected) structure of folders and files.  Once you have the account straightened out, you can copy your personal data back into the account (from the aforementioned backups, for example).

Settings > Accounts > Family & other users

Add someone else to this PC

Add a local or Microsoft account

See this document for "how-to" instructions:

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

After the account is created, "edit" the account to change its account type to "administrator".

If you created a "local" account and you wish to do so, you can also switch the account to use your Microsoft account login credentials.

After you have the account created, edited, and set up the way you intend.

Wait for the usual "new account" setup (takes a few minutes)

Once logged in, use your backups to restore / reload your personal data and files.

If you were using Cloud, now is the time to check into recovering that access (For example, Download / install OneDrive, iCloud for PC)

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation