Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360

Hi

i brought a pavilion X360 in March 2017, the laptop died on me in September 2018, I only had the laptop 17months and spent £550 on it, it’s not something I use everyday just socially, I took it to a local laptop repair shop where they confirmed the motherboard had died, this is after 17months, they recommended this isn’t good and I should go to HP and ask questions.

does anyone have any advice on what I should do as they quoted a new motherboard and fitting will be £250 but this problem should not happen after 17months?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Will03

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...
Even though your notebook only lasted 17 months, that is still longer than the standard 12-month warranty.  So that means you won't be able to get any repairs or parts covered now under the original warranty.

As to the motherboard cost, was that amount for only the motherboard, but did it also include the labor to disassemble the notebook, remove the internals, remove the motherboard, replace the motherboard, replace the other internals, reassemble the notebook and then run  diagnostics to confirm it works OK?

Also, the HP OEM Windows license is tied to the motherboard, not to the PC owner.  Thus, if they put a new motherboard in, you will have to pay for new Windows license, and since you can't buy an HP OEM license, it would most likely be a Retail license.  Did they include this in the cost?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I understand I am out of warranty by 5 months but surely a motherboard should last a lot longer than 17months especially on a laptop I spent £550.

This makes the motherboard unfit for purpose and not of merchantable quality

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.