Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, 

As stated in the title of this convo already, my HP ENVY dv4 doesn't turn on. 

I haven't used it for 1-2 years, but it was completely fine. No issues back then. 

I've been checking solutions online and I've already tried to remove the charger, the battery, hold the power button for a few sec, restart, etc. I tried them all, but nothing happened.  I even removed the RAM and placed it back in, but still no change. 

Finally, I plugged the charger into another laptop and it works. So the problem is my laptop. 

When i plugged the charger in, there's no light at all. You know the little white light/yellow light that is supposed to show whenever you plug it in? That one. No light at all. 

I have a lot of material and files on this laptop,  and I would like to recover them somehow. Is there a way I can start it again without going to an HP center? 

And even if I go to the center, are they gonna delete all my files?

Is there a way I can just access the hard disk and take all my files? 

Please let me know, thanks!

Rosanna

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello,

The easiest way to extract data if you know how to take out hard drive from the laptop.. I don't have specs of your laptop but if you able to to take out then you need a working computer and an hard drive docking station... There are other options available but this one will be easiest of all.  Put hard drive in the docking station and connect it via USB port to a working Windows running computer... You will see a new drive detected and capavle to copy all of your needed data...

Thanks

MIR

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thanks for your feedback. 

Unfortunately I don't either have a docking station or know how to extract the hard drive from my pc (even though I can check somewhere on YouTube, I'm sure).

What if I take my laptop to an HP center or any other repairing centers, the only solution would be formatting and so lose all my data? 

Thanks, 

Rosanna

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.