Did you mean: 
Jordannegative Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My HP laptop is overheating while doing casual work

HP 15-ac029nm notebook, Windows 10 1803 version. I have a lot of problems with overheating, my notebook is constantly hot, unless I put it into sleep mode. I notice the slowdowns when fans start kicking in. Not to mention, it's noisy and annoying. I have installed the latest AMD graphics since I thought standard driver was causing it. 90% of the time, notebook is using Intel's integrated graphics, though. I think.

I keep the notebook plugged in, but it's the same when it's on battery. I really don't want to drain the battery, it's weak already. My HDD suffers a lot of random activity too, maybe it's contributing to heat?

I had Debian GNU/Linux before, and it was cool most of the time. Probably because Debian ran only on Intel's graphics until I manually switch to Radeon R5. Fans would start only when I was playing games, too.

How can I keep my laptop cool? I might switch back to Debian if this continues, the notebook has been in use for 3 years. I wouldn't want it to bail on me because of some stupid heat problem caused by Microsoft's "modern" hog of an OS.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,428 11,232 549 579
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jordannegative

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

Let's follow the below steps that could resolve the issue.

Step 1: Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents

Most notebook computers have vents located around the case to allow air to flow through the case. If these vents become clogged, or if heat-generating parts become covered with dust, the fan cannot cool the components properly, because the laptop is hot and overheating becomes a problem. Lint and dust accumulation prevents air from flowing around the cooling fan blades and causes the fan to work harder and the laptop to get hot. If there is dust in the vents, you should clean the laptop by blowing out the dust from around the fan and heat shield. This prevents dust from accumulating.

It is not necessary to open the notebook (laptop) to clean out the dust with the canned, compressed air.

The following graphics show the dust accumulation on the inside of the laptop, but dust around the fans and heat shield of the laptop can be cleaned without opening the computer.

Dusty component

Dust accumulation around a fan

CAUTION:

To prevent damage to the notebook, make sure it is turned off and the AC adapter is disconnected before spraying with compressed air.

Use a can of compressed air (a vacuum cleaner on blow function or a hair dryer in cool air mode can also be used, though compressed air is better suited for this task) to remove dust from the laptop vents and prevent overheating. Removing the dust increases the air flow to improve cooling and allows the fan to run quieter.

The cooling vents are located in various places depending on the laptop model. You can identify the vents by looking for the copper or black fins inside the vents.

NOTE:

Be sure to find and clean all the vents on your laptop with the compressed air. Your particular laptop might have vents on the side, the back, or the bottom. Some newer laptops might not have any vents at all.

You should blow the compressed air into the vents on your laptop, and into other openings such as the fan intake vent to help keep the air circulating and prevent dust from accumulating on components.

Blowing the  side vent with compressed canned air

Blowing the  bottom vent with compressed canned air

By taking this action periodically as a preventive measure, you can greatly reduce the possibility of component damage and prevent the slowdown of the notebook's performance.

Step 2: Ensuring proper space for ventilation

To decrease the likelihood of overheating problems, ensure the fans on your laptop are able to ventilate properly. Proper ventilation for the system is important for laptop operation. Follow these guidelines to ensure adequate ventilation:

• Keep the laptop upright and on a sturdy, level surface.

• Provide at least 15.25 centimeters (6 inches) of clearance around each vent.

• If the laptop is being used at very high altitudes, above 1500 meters (5000 feet), take extra care to keep the laptop cool.

Step 3: Placing the notebook in a cooler room

If your laptop is overheating, place it in a cooler room. A small difference in temperature might be all that is needed to prevent a component from failing. Move the laptop to a cooler room in the house or office. If this is not an option, continue with the next step.

Step 4: Using HP CoolSense technology

HP CoolSense technology is a feature in some HP notebook (laptop) computers that combines hardware, software, and mechanical design to dynamically manage the temperature of your laptop computer. HP CoolSense uses a motion sensor in your laptop to sense when your laptop is being used in a stationary or mobile setting, and automatically adjusts the laptop performance and fan speed to keep the computer cool. You can set HP CoolSense software to your specifications. For more information, see HP Notebook PCs - HP CoolSense Technology.

The HP Command Center app, available on select HP ENVY Notebook PCs, uses CoolSense technology along with other thermal control options to keep you comfortable while using your HP notebook. For more information, see HP ENVY Notebook PCs - HP Command Center (Windows 10).

Step 5: Updating the BIOS

After releasing a laptop, HP regularly provides updates for the BIOS and other components. Check for BIOS updates and install them using instructions in the HP support document Updating the BIOS.

Step 6: Testing for hardware failure

If overheating issues persist after cleaning the vents and moving the computer to a cooler room, a hardware component might be damaged. Test the computer to see if any hardware, such as memory, the processor, or the graphics hardware, have failed. Most HP and Compaq notebook computers have diagnostic software to verify hardware failures. For more information, go to Testing for Hardware Failures.

If the hardware has failed, either replace the bad component or contact HP for further assistance using the Contact Support tab at the top of this screen.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4,459 4,402 448 747
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jordannegative wrote:

HP 15-ac029nm notebook, Windows 10 1803 version. I have a lot of problems with overheating, my notebook is constantly hot, unless I put it into sleep mode. I notice the slowdowns when fans start kicking in. Not to mention, it's noisy and annoying. I have installed the latest AMD graphics since I thought standard driver was causing it. 90% of the time, notebook is using Intel's integrated graphics, though. I think.

I keep the notebook plugged in, but it's the same when it's on battery. I really don't want to drain the battery, it's weak already. My HDD suffers a lot of random activity too, maybe it's contributing to heat?

I had Debian GNU/Linux before, and it was cool most of the time. Probably because Debian ran only on Intel's graphics until I manually switch to Radeon R5. Fans would start only when I was playing games, too.

How can I keep my laptop cool? I might switch back to Debian if this continues, the notebook has been in use for 3 years. I wouldn't want it to bail on me because of some stupid heat problem caused by Microsoft's "modern" hog of an OS.

Hi,

I'd recommend to stick with Debian. I don't think the problem is due to the dual graphics. It's probably a conflict with the dynamic libraries but it might be anything. Stay with linux as it's getting much more user friendly. 

Dv6-7000 Debian Buster
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation