Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Student
Message 1 of 2 (89 Views)

My HP won't successfully reboot

Product Name: HP Spectre 13-4100 x360 Convertible PC

Every time I try to reboot my system, it goes through the process and then at the end says "changes could not be saved." 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 2 (57 Views)

Re: My HP won't successfully reboot

Hi @annalaz,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, your notebook does not boot. 

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

What is the operating system on PC?

When was the last time it worked fine?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes? 

Do you use Microsoft Office?

Could you share a picture of the error message?

Please try these steps to perform a system restore to take your PC to the time it was working fine. It does not affect your personal files and data: 

• Turn off the computer and wait at least 5 seconds with the computer in a full off state.
  • Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until you see the Windows loading screen.
  • If a language selection screen opens, select the language you want to use to continue.
  • On the Choose your keyboard layout screen, select the keyboard layout that matches your keyboard type.
  • On the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.
  • On the Troubleshoot screen, click Advanced Options
  • On the Advanced options screen, click System Restore.
  • Click Windows 8, click Windows 8.1, or click Windows 10 as the target operating system.
  • The System Restore window opens.
  • Click Next.
  • Click the restore point that you want to use, and then click next.
  • The Confirm Restore Point window opens.
  • Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.
  • Do yes not interrupt System Restore when it starts. Doing so can corrupt your hard drive and create more problems. Click in the warning that appears.
  • System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts.

BIOS Defaults

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

If the computer restarts normally and the error message does not display, you are done.

Please run a system test to ensure hardware is good: 

• Press the Power button to turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until you see HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.
  • From the UEFI main menu, click System Tests, then click Quick Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take up to 15 minutes.
  • If no system component failed, please go back to main menu and Exit from the screen
  • If a component fails a test, write down the information so you have it available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in Test Logs on the main menu.

Keep me posted!

Have a great day :)

Flower_Bud

I am an HP Employee 

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation