Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab25
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Pavilion laptop is not completely frozen. My touchpad works, as do some of the function keys like mute and light/darken screen, plus the up arrow so I can see the background desktop (lock screen?) with pretty picture, time, date and battery status.

The problem is the "Sign in" and the power/restart/shut down/hibernate, etc option thing are "darkened," you know that thing the computer does when things are not available, when features/menu items are not current options.

It's like my laptop is stuck in shut down, but won't actually shut down or restart. And as a computer is shutting down you lose features and can't do much if anything with it. This has happened a couple times before during updates. Both times I unplugged it, waited for the power to drain, plugged it back in and it started as normal no problem.

No such luck this time.

I have heard of similar problems in support forums, but most of that was upgrading from 8 to 10 so I doubt they can help me.

I have an HP Pavilion 5th Gen Intel Core i7 Processor with Windows 10 Home 8GB memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @GeminiBusiness,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums!

I understand that your HP Pavilion 15-ab25 Notebook is not operating correctly. I would like to help you resolve this issue.

First, please perform a hard reset. After that, complete the steps from this troubleshooting document and then test the hardware:

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

I look forward to the results! If this information is helpful, click the thumbs up.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @GeminiBusiness,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums!

I understand that your HP Pavilion 15-ab25 Notebook is not operating correctly. I would like to help you resolve this issue.

First, please perform a hard reset. After that, complete the steps from this troubleshooting document and then test the hardware:

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

I look forward to the results! If this information is helpful, click the thumbs up.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
thanks, holding down the power button for 20 seconds until it switched off worked. it just restarted like normal.

now the question is, can I prevent this from happening again? is this the symptom of a bigger problem?

Thank you very much
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.