Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 14-ax000 Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I’ve lost my cursor. It’s there when I log in, but then disappears. Please help. Thank you

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello @Renandron,

Please try the below steps !!

Solution 1) Re-enable your mouse

Windows may have disabled your mouse during the upgrade from a previous version or while your computer was in sleep mode. This will make your mouse unusable and your mouse cursor disappear. You should re-enable your mouse in order to restore its cursor.

There are two ways you can re-enable your mouse. First, if you are using a laptop, you should try pressing the key combination on your laptop keyboard that can turn on/off your mouse. Usually, it is the Fn key plus F3, F5, F9 or F11 (it depends on the make of your laptop, and you may need to consult your laptop manual to find it out).

You can also enable your mouse in the mouse settings. To do so:

1) Press the Win key on your keyboard, then type “mouse“. When you see “Mouse settings appear in the menu above, press the up or down arrow on your keyboard to highlight it, then press Enter.

2) In Mouse settings, press Tab on your keyboard until Additional mouse options (under Related Settings) is highlighted. Press Enter on your keyboard to select it.

3) In the Mouse Properties window, press Tab on your keyboard until the Buttons tab in the window is highlighted (with a dotted border.)

4) Press right arrow key on your keyboard until Device Settings in the window is opened. (The name of this tab could be different, depending on the mouse you use.)

5) If your device is disabled, press Tab on your keyboard until the Enable button is high lighted, and press Enter to enable the device.

6) If this method solves the problem, you will be able to see your mouse pointer again.

Re-enable your mouse

Windows may have disabled your mouse during the upgrade from a previous version or while your computer was in sleep mode. This will make your mouse unusable and your mouse cursor disappear. You should re-enable your mouse in order to restore its cursor.

There are two ways you can re-enable your mouse. First, if you are using a laptop, you should try pressing the key combination on your laptop keyboard that can turn on/off your mouse. Usually, it is the Fn key plus F3, F5, F9 or F11 (it depends on the make of your laptop, and you may need to consult your laptop manual to find it out).

You can also enable your mouse in the mouse settings. To do so:

1) Press the Win key on your keyboard, then type “mouse“. When you see “Mouse settings appear in the menu above, press the up or down arrow on your keyboard to highlight it, then press Enter.

2) In Mouse settings, press Tab on your keyboard until Additional mouse options (under Related Settings) is highlighted. Press Enter on your keyboard to select it.

3) In the Mouse Properties window, press Tab on your keyboard until the Buttons tab in the window is highlighted (with a dotted border.)

4) Press right arrow key on your keyboard until Device Settings in the window is opened. (The name of this tab could be different, depending on the mouse you use.)

5) If your device is disabled, press Tab on your keyboard until the Enable button is high lighted, and press Enter to enable the device.

6) If this method solves the problem, you will be able to see your mouse pointer again.

Solution 2. Update the Mouse Driver to Fix the Missing Cursor in Windows 10

Since there's no mouse pointer and the mouse is not working, you can only process updating mouse driver with the keyboard:

1. Press Windows + R keys altogether to bring out the Run box.

2. Type devmgmt.msc and then hit Enter to open Device Manager.

mouse-cursor-disappearing-on-windows-10.png

3. Press Tab to switch to devices list.

4. Use arrow keys to scroll down to Mice and other pointing devices and use the right arrow key to expand it.

no-mouse-cursor-in-windows-10.png

5. Use the down arrow key to select your mouse device.

6. Press Shift + F10 open the context menu.

mouse-pointer-disappeared.png

7. Choose Update driver with arrow keys and hit Enter.

8. Follow the on-screen installation instructions to finish the updates and then check whether the lost cursor or mouse not working issue persists on your Windows 10 laptop 

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The mouse does not appear under device manager, I tried all the options as well. Please advise

HP Recommended

@Caleb1990
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • What is the operating system?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

Keep me posted for further assistance. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Product number is N5Y24UA#ABA

Operating system is Microsoft Windows version 10

I haven’t used it in a time, but probably last summer.

It’s possible that it happened after an update, however I wouldn’t have noticed as I turned it on to find out it wasn’t functioning.

I should note that the mouse cursor isn’t appearing at any point during operation.

HP Recommended

@Renandron wrote:

I’ve lost my cursor. It’s not there when I log in  Please help. Thank you

HP Recommended

@Beth27
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
  • What is the operating system?
  • Have you tried with the different or external mouse to check the issue?

Keep me posted for further assistance.​​​​​​

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This may or may not help. I experienced the same problem and none of the fixes helped. Then Microsoft issued an update. After installing this update the cursor issues disappeared. It was a windows 10 update 

HP Recommended

@DaveP5450

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My cursor on my laptop has disabled I have tried getting it back following your instructions but it hasn’t worked as it’s telling me what I’ve done won’t work until I restart my computer. The arrow keys are not working and I don’t want to loose the document I’ve typed in. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.