Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Power 15.6 inch G8 Mobile Workstation PC (434Z0AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi HP community! I have an exciting new Z Book. 32GB Power G8 32GB RAM. Ready to really have something lightning fast for a busy work schedule.

But.

I have done all initial patching via the HP Support Assistant and I keep hitting a blue screen. Has anyone had similar?

I do wonder if I patched to the bleeding edge and there is some driver issue. 

I have installed Bullguard and Google Drive sync and some minor software (qclock, passwordsafe) but otherwise this is really a clean new machine. (All of which was grand on my previous HP elitebook on Win 10 64bit).

Keen to hear community feedback. I cannot easily afford the time needed to run all the possible diagnostics and look for unlisted driver patches etc.

No docking station or anything! Only externals are a microsoft USB wireless keyboard/mouse and a jabra bluetooth headset.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

FYI latest one attached!

20220121_192341.jpg

HP Recommended

And more. Same kernel security error.

20220124_122435.jpg

HP Recommended

It can happen when Secure Boot is enabled and the kernel drivers are not certified.

You need a new clean installation without that HP-stuff.

HP Recommended

20220125_142234.jpg

Thank you for the input.

I don't think getting rid of all the HP stuff off the new HP laptop will be my first step but I will consider it and see if I can check the versions and certification status of kernel/drivers.

Currently I am running a memory test (per attached) and prepping a USB stick to make a OS recovery image.

HP Recommended

I don't know how big your disk is, but I strongly recommend to make the C-Partition not bigger than 150 GB.

During setup on the "disk-page" select "New" (yellow star) and type in the amount in [MB] (150x1024=153600 MB)

Then you get the MS Recovery Partition at the right place! The rest can be done later in Windows diskmanagement.

HP Recommended

Hi VH2000 and readers,

The memory check finished without issue. I'm looking at trying to get a USB setup to reinstall windows (though the HP Cloud Recovery Tool seems to be deprecated??)

@VH2000 thanks again for input; but may I ask - why do you recommend making the C partition smaller. I have the new laptop HD received as one partition of 950GB. I understand how to partition; but why do you suggest doing it? I'm really just looking to solve the BSOD issue with the KERNERL_SECURITY_CHECK_ERROR I keep getting. 

HP Recommended

Note HPers. As alumni of the company, the Qmquality of support is shockingly disappointing. Check the pics of the Support Assistant on laptop and Customer Support site.

20220125_151944.jpg

20220125_141924.jpg

HP Recommended

1. A cloud recovery is the worst option. You might get an very old Windows Version. From MS you get a 21H2 and with one single update you are ready. Update the drivers and your system is stable. 

2. with a separate Partition for your Data (D:) your data are safe when your system crashes. The C-Partition is only needed for the System and your programs. In my life I had many system crashes, but I never lost any data.

3. It is possible to exchange the drivers in an PE-Environment. But to do that you need some knowledge.

HP Recommended

Hey thanks for the fast updates! I'm on the phone to HP but you're faster 😁

I like the logic re the MS update though I do want the HP Support Assistant etc. as generally I've found them to be very good for managing the system and connected HP devices.

The thing with a MS Windows installation from MS is - where would I get one? I need a valid licensed copy and that - in this instance - comes through HP. So I don't see an option for Windows installation with the HP s/w on it other than from HP unless I'm happy to ditch the HP software? 

NB re Partitions - I don't keep any important data locally these days so there's no issue there for me peronally

NNB re the PE env - sounds good and I'd play with it but I haven't much time to do so

However good advice for others maybe too -- I finally got HP and as this laptop was purchased and in warranty they gave me two options - a "DOA" (replacement laptop as it's less than a month since ordered) or a new motherboard replaced on site. I've opted for a DOA so will struggle on and see if the new one is clear of this issue! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.